Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Randy, isn't it an AC 4299? That's what is on my '55 Patrician with the 352ci.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 19:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Randy,

My dad was putting bolts in the hinge,

rik

i have also seen them brazed...

Posted on: 2012/5/11 19:15
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
l have used both, seem to work ok..

back in the day, you had to use what was around..

rik

Posted on: 2012/5/11 19:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men, I was talking to one of my mates in the Club today about the fuel level in the glass fuel filter bowl issue that I raised in the last post and his response was so simple it was a "why didn't I think of that" moment. He said that as the two are fixtures mated together, the fuel level in the glass bowl will relate to the fuel level in the carby bowl, as set by the float level. In other words, liquid finding its own level. Sounds reasonable and in the absence of some better technical advice, I'll run with this. I'll take the old girl out for a run in the next couple of days, weather permitting (we are heading into winter) to see if she's going OK. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/5/12 4:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/5/12 7:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/5/12 7:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
......He said that as the two are fixtures mated together, the fuel level in the glass bowl will relate to the fuel level in the carby bowl, as set by the float level. In other words, liquid finding its own level.

On the duals, the filter assy is low & bowl top is a good inch or more lower than the fuel level in carb would be. I can only speak from my experience but when I had a varnish clogged element, the level in the glass bowl never got more than around half full. Just why, I can't say. You could blow air thru the element and all seemed well. Car idled fine and could even rev up the engine so some gas was getting thru but put any load on and it ran out of gas. The bowl level pretty much staying constantly low thruout. Point being that with the filter location and bowl level where it was, there would have been almost no gas in carb if it seeks it's level -- 1/4" maybe. Question would be whether it would idle as well as it did with a near empty carb -- I don't know. A new and clean element and the bowl stays completely full.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Filter bowl is under pump pressure (when needle and seat are closed). Carb bowl is never under pressure.

Sometimes during engine operation the bowl on mine IS full and other times only about 1/2 full. I can understand full but the 1/2 full is a mystery that i really havn't given much thot to.

I have a factory correct gravity feed gaslonie engine ca 1951. Glass bowl is always full. It has no fuel pump of course.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packards with fuel pumps and glass bowl filters:

Note that the entry AND exit of fuel to and from the filter is at the TOP of the filter. There is no syphon tube or anything that extends down into the glass bowl at all. So once the gas is below the top of the pot metal housing of the fuel filter there is no way for it to escape. So the 1/2 full glass bowl we are seeing is rather strange.

Probably due to somekind of heating or vapourizing or sudden pressure change when needle and seat close or open. It is a mystery to me too.

Maybe some our more chemistry or physics minded members can explain it.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm wondering if a pressure gauge mounted just in front of the fuel filter would help to explain it????

Posted on: 2012/5/12 10:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved