Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
OK men, I did as I said I would last night and I think it's probably time I pulled my head in, or at least research issues more thoroughly before commenting.

I ran the motor for a few minutes and then followed Ricki's advice to remove the ceramic filter. However, apart from a small release of pressure I was surprised (pleasantly) to find the glass bowl was full of petrol which means I hadn't observed everything closely enough. It still looks like the fuel level only goes up to the bottom of the ceramic filter when the motor is running, but this must be some sort of optical illusion with the filter hiding the true fuel level. Because of this and because the glass bowl and ceramic filter looked nice and clean, I decided to put it all back the way it was. Even so, I did crack the fuel line to let any air escape but all I could see escaping was petrol.

I also inspected the fuel levels in the inline filters while the motor was running and interestingly, they don't seem to fill up. I've attached some pics (sorry, clarity is a bit suss) about all of this, but I have to admit that in the interests of preserving my fingers, I turned-off the motor for the pic of the vertical inline filter above the fuel pump. The level shown is pretty much as it was with the motor running.

Finally, I took her out for a short spin and everything seemed to be working properly, with no fuel leaks that I could detect. I'm now of the view the fuel system to the carby is pretty good, and the only change in prospect is replacing the flexible fuel line to the pump when the new one arrives. Thanks once again for all of the advice. Regards, John

Attach file:

jpg  (78.00 KB)
237_4fb0856ccfd4b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.78 KB)
237_4fb08593c53aa.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (34.72 KB)
237_4fb085b9e16d7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/13 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Regarding your bottom two pictures, i can't tell you how many random projects i've used those on where they don't appear to fill up. The air is trapped in there and so the gas keeps going through the filter, but the air just sits there and makes it look like it's not. If you were to take the outlet line off and pump some fuel, you MIGHT coax some of that air out, but it's always been there in those type of filters for me, and never given me any issues whatsoever.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
john,

has anyone brought up, vacuum tester? open line at filter, hook up hand pump vacuum pump, and put line out in container, and pump up gas. that air bubble has to move.

don't think it would help ceramic,, but you should get air bubble out.

rik

ps if gas won't go by pump (fuel) then go below.

pss...have you tried to fill bowl before putting it together? (glass) bowl. or soak the ceramic in the bowl? with gas, then top off, and put it together.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 20:43
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Riki, I too would prefer to get rid of all air in the system but it doesn't seem to be making much difference where it is. Nonetheless, I'll have a go at bleeding the inline filters as soon as I can. I'll keep you posted. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/5/15 5:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

As to "sediment" bowls, they are invariable on the suction or intake side of pump and never show any air space. Senior Packards up until about 1939 used glass bowls with a fine brass screen above to prevent fluid turbulence from allowing any of the sediment to pass on into the pump internals. Most of the double action post war pumps use a metal cup sediment bowl, again with a screen. But the filter you discuss with the pleated paper element that "floats" must be improperly sized or installed, the element fits securely to the casting at the top so that no fuel can get around it. Take it apart and I suspect you'll find the problem.

Sorry Owen, I'm not an expert and don't have a perfect 20-year plus memory. There was no "casting" in the bowl cover, the filter press fit onto a metal tube (the filter was only open at one end). This setup provider a much larger, finer filter area than a ceramic type. It was OK, but still a hassle to remove the bowl for replacement.

The bowl filter is a sediment bowl no matter where it's placed, (hence you clean what has settled into it once in a while, as you noted). I don't know about 1939 filters/bowls or double action pumps, but I suspect that those bowls were placed on the intake side of the pump to act as a pre-pump filter, as is recommended today with electric pumps. Some mechanical fuel pumps come with a bowl attached, glass or metal (1947 Dodge, for instance), which I doubt has any other filtering properties than to catch sediment and water.

The presence of air in a glass sediment bowl/filter is an interesting phenomenon, but solving the question of why it's there isn't very helpful: as noted in my last post and again in a later one--even translucent in-line filters show "air space" and work fine. I'm sure there is air in the metal in-line filters as well, but we just don't see it.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 21:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved