Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: turn signal flashers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's very interesting that only the L front light would be impacted by a bad connection on the flasher holder. The 3 connections are Flasher output to all bulbs via the switch, Indicator light voltage output, and fused battery voltage in. If the bad contact was on the 6 pin, then perfectly understandable because pin 2 on that plug only feeds the L Front bulb. Any chance moving that flasher connector around was also moving the 6 pin?

That transistor in the 535 driving the indicator bulb output is most likely the reason the indicator light doesn't work with it. Without having something to try it on to make sure, I'd almost bet with a negative ground car it would work.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In desparation and because I am cheap I opened up the flasher from the Thousanddollarwonder by prying the crimp open around the base. Then I folded over a sliver of 1000 grit sandpaper and cleaned the two tiny square contact pairs at the top as shown in the upper photo in post #3. I followed that with a little white paper to get any grit out and then crimped the can back together. Works great with nice bright lights at the right pace, and with the dash indicators functioning. The entire process took maybe t0 minutes. Try it--what have you got to lose?

Posted on: 2012/5/22 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Disconnect P terminal and reconnect it to L terminal????

That sounds too easy, it'll probably work (maybe a little slower paced signal tho).

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:34
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Disconnect P terminal and reconnect it to L terminal????

That sounds too easy, it'll probably work (maybe a little slower paced signal tho).

It might work depending on how much resistance is in the indicator light circuit. Adding a bulb there would lower the overall resistance seen by the flasher. Have to do a bit of surgery though because of the terminals on the plug in type.

The thermal element is designed for a certain amount of resistance as determined by the bulbs. Get too far off either direction and depending on which way, it flashes very slowly to not at all or very rapidly. In this case, I think it might go faster rather than slower. You may remember what sometimes happens when one bulb burns out. The other one either stays on or blinks short quick blips.

If the electronic flasher one site offers will work on positive ground, then not an issue since there is no thermal element so not resistance dependent.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Redneck
See User information
For all you Napa 535 users. I opened one up and removed the pnp 9012 transistor and replaced it with a NTE electronics npn 123ap transistor.package reads nte 123ap t-npn,si,amp,amp to vhf sw. (Compl to nte159) this is a to92 style replaces ecg123ap,ge-123ap,sk3854 My signals and pilot lamp on my 50 Dodge Coronet which is a pos grnd system now work.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 7:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Redneck,
to PackardInfo and thanks for the info.

If, besides the '50 Dodge Coronet, you have a Packard I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Redneck
See User information
I don't own a Packard but this is the only site that had the info for the flashers and schematic that led me to replacing the transistor for mine So I thought it polite to share the info.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
again Redneck, your "politeness" is appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved