Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

R9 Overdrive Solenoid Spacer direction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I can't find any directions on which way the spacer with the offset hole goes in.

Is the offset hole for the pawl more toward the front of the car?

The two small holes on the spacer (not the center hole or the 2 cap screw mounting holes) are on the same side as the offset. Are they toward the front or the rear of the car?

They manual states that the solenoid mounts either way because the mounting screws are not offset, but of the spacer is wrong, the pawl can't engaged.

Please, if you figured this out or found directions, let me know. Much thanks,
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (18.71 KB)
1067_4ff0e5730bd03.jpg 240X320 px

jpg  (15.50 KB)
1067_4ff0e587cbabe.jpg 240X320 px

Posted on: 2012/7/1 19:08
 Top  Print 

Re: R9 Overdrive Solenoid Spacer direction
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
It will only go one way-if the bolts don't line up, turn 180 degrees. Good luck

Posted on: 2012/7/1 19:44

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Appreciate response, Dell, but It apparently can go both ways. So say manual.

Quoting p.17 in the Transmission section of the 14-20 Series Service Manual....

The trouble proved to be the position in which the metal spacer was installed. ...Al though the two attaching cap screw holes will line up in either position, there is only one way to install the spacer so that the shaft will clear the hole in the spacer. ... In this case the spacer was installed upside down with the result that the spacer pressed so hard against the solenoid shaft that it was impossible for the pawl to slide out of the balk ring and permit the Econo-Drive to engage."

The hole is offset toward one side and there are two small holes, also only on one side. Does anyone know if those item are toward the front or the rear of the car?

Is there another way to know for sure, other than install it one way and if the OD doesn't work, turn it around and try that?

Thanks
Joe

Posted on: 2012/7/1 20:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
I'll have to get under my car and see. You are correct, there is only one way for it to be, and one way for the solenoid to fit to it as well. I might be able to slide under the car tomorrow and take a look for you.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 20:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
That's great of you, West. Beyond call of duty.

I don't know if you can tell once it's mounted. But you might be able to tell which side the larger lip is on. The lip with the two smaller holes is larger. You might be able to feel the holes on one side or the other. Or see it with a little mirror tool. If they all have 2 little holes, that is.

I should have marked it before I made the new gasket. It's funny how it "felt" right initially.

But, perhaps someone knows.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2012/7/1 20:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Geez, I only did this last week and have already forgotten, but am almost certain the two little holes are toward the rear.

Also, are you certain that the shaft engaged with the pawl--as evidenced by the solenoid will not pull straight out?

I am wondering if your car is not already stuck in overdrive fulltime, the evidence being that you can not shift it to reverse. There is an interlock built in to prevent that when the pawl is "in".

Posted on: 2012/7/1 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Ross, thanks much.

I'll try that with small holes to the rear and we'll save West getting out and getting under.

While the car was on the jack stands I tried to put it in reverse and it would not go, even tho it went into 2nd nd 3rd and 1st.

I took the car off the jack stands, started it and moved it forward slightly in 1st gear. Then I was able to put it into reverse, so the overdrive lockout sleeve is free. Thank the universe.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 23:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Joe; If you look at the adapter (item in your picture) you will see that the two bolt holes and the hole for the solenoid shaft are in a straight line-the male side of the adapter that fits in the od housing is off set-it can go only one way and have the bolt holes line up. It just happens that the small holes are to the rear. If you want to replace the seal C/R 3060 works well, just drive out the old seal and washer-put in the new seal and old washed and stake the washer in. Dell

Posted on: 2012/7/2 21:41

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Dell, thanks for the tips. I'll get to take solenoid out again. It's leaking. I am becoming an expert. I have almost 10,000 hours in removing and installing the solenoid...incorrectly mostly.

It didn't have a seal when I opened it. It had form-a-gasket or blue silicone inside the spacer/adapter around the flange that's around the center (off set) hole when I took it out the other night. I just took it for a drive and when I parked, a trail of leaks. (I didn't go far and the tranny/OD was just filled, part of the reason I went out was to get all my fittings greased at Fast Lane Oil). But now I'm home. Tomorrow I'll get an oil seal and I'll take the solenoid out again.

At the moment, it's installed with the small holes to the rear, but it won't engage.
The red light comes on and it goes into freewheeling. I'm going to read up on it tonight.

I truly appreciate your post here. I'm not at all mechanically inclined. Otherwise I would have marked the solenoid before taking things apart. Usually I take pictures of everything, but it's so crammed under there and I don't want to mess up my iPhone. I thought the gasket was the seal. The old gasket was beat up so I made a new one. I thought that would do it, stop leaks. But it doesn't without an oil seal.

EDIT...So what I'm calling a gasket is the washer? Made of gasket materials with 4 holes around the big center hole? I'll check my parts book, too. Should have in the beginning.
Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2012/7/2 22:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
If it's leaking, you need to replace the seal in the spacer's center hole, through which the solenoid shaft runs.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 16:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved