Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine/Suspension Degreasers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What do you guys recommend for engine degreasers?

The '54 has some pretty thick buildup (1/4" +) on the lower part of the engine, suspension, steering knuckles, control arms, crossmember etc. It looks like someone dipped the front of the car in a tar pit or something. I used some of that Gunk Foamy Brite stuff and it really didnt do that much, I swear I heard the grease laugh at me. I seams to break off in clumps. Almost like its a mix of grease, tar, and road dirt. Brake cleaner seams to work the best, but it would take me 50 cans of the stuff to clean all of it.

I think the problem is that most of the engine degreasers are heat activated. But my engine is not in a running state as of yet.

I was thinking of using some oven cleaner. But that stuff is pretty harsh. So I am not sure how that stuff would react to the rubber bushings in the suspension.

Perhaps I should just rent a steam cleaner.

Anyway, if you guys have any good tips for degreasing the entire engine compartment please let me know. Just keep in mind that the car is stationary and non-running at this point. So driving it to the local wash-it-yourself is not an option.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 0:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine/Suspension Degreasers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
the fluid from a saftey-kleen machine (parts washer solution) works pretty good, better if you can run the engine and get it hot

Posted on: 2007/5/29 1:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:
MrPushbutton wrote:
the fluid from a saftey-kleen machine (parts washer solution) works pretty good, better if you can run the engine and get it hot
I second the saftey-kleen stuff. It works alot better then spray can stuff. A friend of mine got me five gallons or so of it awhile back. You can use that stuff over and over if you can catch in a tray and strain it.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 5:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've not found any GOOD degreasers that will work on HEAVY buidup as u describe. The STEAM CLEANER WILL do the job. That's a STEAM CLEANER and NOT a pressure washer. Most car washes prior to the mid 70's fuel crisis hoax had such commercial steam cleaners but nolonger seem to.
I have a heavy duty pressure washer that i use for light to moderate build up along with laundry or dishwashinf detergent. But real heavy well aged and cooked on buildup i have to use a putty knife and sometimes a dull screwdriver as a chisel and small hammer for the really rough stuff. I've seen some build up so hard that i had to get a sharp chisel and hammer to JUDICIALY remove it.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 8:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's HEAT that cooked it on there and it will take the HEAT of a STEAM cleaner to remove it completely.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 8:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Elbow grease works best especially with a putty knife or dull screw driver as suggested already. After the heavy stuff is cut away I a wire brush works well and then solvents to get the residue off. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with Clipper47 on this one. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't have anywhere that I'm willing to let that amount of oil/grease, and/or grease solvents hit the ground... certainly not the concrete driveway or garage floor! Anyway, I think it's easier to get rid of the solids first than to deal with the liquified run-off of those solids.

If I had a place to do it... I'd probably try steam, but since I dont...

That's my worth.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 12:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I found the best stuff ever, it's called "Auto Magic Motor Degreaser Concentrate". I bought a gallon of this stuff from a guy I used to work with, and I have to say, it works the best. I put some in a squirt bottle, and sprayed my chassis by the engine with it. Let it set for 5 minutes, then took a pressure washer to it, and there was no more grease, none. The steering box looked like it was brand new!! It is acrid as hell, don't get it on your skin, and try to keep the fumes out of your eyes. It's some mean stuff! I don't know if it's easily available, but I bought it from our detail shop supplier where I used to work. It will clean anything that's caked on, baked on, aged on, etc. I have never found anything that comes close.

Posted on: 2007/5/29 14:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved