Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 31 »

Re: ZIS 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The engines for the early AMO trucks such as the AMO F15, were built at Yaroslav.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/11 21:42
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I mentioned in a prior post in this thread that I'd post some pictures of a 1950 parade car (convertible sedan to us) here in New Jersey. It's been in the states for a number of years, was partially restored some years back, and is now enroute back to Russia. This is the 6th ZIS 110 that I've been lucky enough to examine. Hope you enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.15 KB)
177_48a1008c3644f.jpg 417X800 px

jpg  (44.22 KB)
177_48a1009d9cfbf.jpg 408X800 px

jpg  (34.83 KB)
177_48a100ad73a39.jpg 408X800 px

jpg  (45.54 KB)
177_48a100b962abc.jpg 651X800 px

Posted on: 2008/8/11 22:17
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

nicky
See User information
Back in the 1930s, Packard was an ultra-luxury automaker; buying one was akin to owing a Rolls-Royce or Maybach, then it moved down-market in the ?40s to become more like Mercedes or BMW. The brand died in the late ?50s as horrid rebadged versions of Studebakers.
--------------
nickysam

Car Auctions

Posted on: 2008/8/12 0:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Love those photos. No question - Stalin loved his Packards. Would have loved to have seen the expression on the Chief Engineer when "Uncle Joe" first told him "say..buddy...I really like that '42 Packard..how about making some knock-offs"......?"

Can you IMAGINE this whole damn fool ZIS business...? During a war, when the country is invaded and in danger of becoming extinct, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions of his people are being murdered by an invading agressor, and Stalin devotes resources to this....!

Oh, by the way, that data plate indicates that car was built in Moscow.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 4:10
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Love the parade car. I understand that Uncle Joe accounted for a few million Russians himself during his Office "purges", on top of the Nazi toll. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/8/12 4:36
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Peter,

Do you have any of these down on the farm? I was intrigued that Guscha posted this pic, thought of you immediately!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.31 KB)
226_48a15d2558182.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2008/8/12 4:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you guys enjoyed the photos, I certainly enjoyed seeing and photographing the car. Your comments bring a few others to mind. (1) Though Stalin loved the 41/42 Packard design, he wasn't the first Russian ruler to have a love affair with Packard, there is an occasionally seen photo of Czar Nicholas II in his Twin Six with skis mounted on the front wheels out flailing thru the snow and as I remember reading he had several Packards. Given the interval between the dates of the Twin Six introduction and his abdication, he didn't have all that long to enjoy them. (2) Responding to PackardTwelve's comments about the folly of producing the ZIS 110 during the war, the ZIS 110 was a post-war car, though design work may have occurred during the later parts of the conflict. Guscha will correct me if needed but I believe the car was introduced about 1947 and produced thru 1952 or thereabouts.

Another European leader who had a liking for the 1941/42 Packards was the King of Norway who I believe at one time had at least a half-dozen; some were used by the occupying Nazis during the war and atleast one survived the war to see Royal service again postwar and I've heard (not confirmed) is still in the Royal stable. PAC had a short story on this back some many years ago.

The last Packard I know of that was bought for offical European government use was a 1956 Patrician bought by the government of Iceland; local PAC correspondent in Iceland Siguborn Helgason related to me that it proved very troublesome and was either returned or sold off shortly thereafter.

I'm really glad I started this thread, it surely has gotten a lot of interest.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 9:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
"G'day all, Love the parade car. I understand that Uncle Joe accounted for a few million Russians himself during his Office "purges", on top of the Nazi toll. Best regards Peter Toet"

If accurate statistics existed, from the time he came to power until he died in 1953, it is probable that he actually outstripped the Nazis in the area of ruthless extermination of his own countrymen. One of the reasons that the Soviets did so poorly on the battlefield when the Germans attacked unexpectedly was the wholesale purge of the Red Army Officer Corps in the late 1930s. After all, the WWII Russian campaign only lasted a little over three years and Uncle Joe had a lot more time than that to work on the project.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 11:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:.......I added a picture of Nikolaus II in a car with ski, may this you meant? I think it is a Rolls-Royce (?)......

Guscha,

The skis are one aspect but the other is the rear wheel arrangement which is unusual to say the least. Is this a "common" feature from days of old, before chains, when owners used their cars in the snow? And I don't think it's a RR - the radiator shell shape isn't right.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gusha: Here is a picture of a 1940 or 1941 ZIS 102a phaeton or touring convertible.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (74.21 KB)
105_48a237554f3c0.jpg 800X464 px

Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:22
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved