Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission Interchangeability?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
I have a '38 Packard Six 4-Dr. (Model 1600) Touring Sedan.

I would like to install an overdrive unit.

I found a R9 '40 transmission with overdrive.
Will this transmission fit/work in my '38?

I know that the '40 is a column shift, but I was hoping that maybe I could use my floor shift top cover on the '40 transmission?

If I could find just a overdrive unit (R9/R10/R11), could I install one of these on the back of my '38 transmission? I know that I would have to shorten the driveshaft. I also know that i would have to install the appropriate control cable and wiring for the solenoid.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 21:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Transmission Interchangeability?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jampard,
to PackardInfo.

Concerning your queries, yes a '40 R9 will fit but among other matters I believe it will require modifications to the frame to do so. And yes, you can adapt a '38 shift top to later year trans. This has been discussed before so a search of the site may be useful. Failing that maybe Peter Packard can chime in as he's done a similar conversion. Regarding fitting a R6/9/11 OD unit to your '38 trans I believe this isn't practical because the trans for OD use differs from the non OD trans, main point of difference being the mainshaft.

All that aside, I invite you to include your '38 Six Touring Sedan, with or without OD, in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/1/14 2:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
you will need to machine the case to use your top shifter,less machine work is required to adapt the r-11. and frame mods are needed.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 10:01

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'd like to hear about the progress on this one - I have a 50 R11 overdrive, transmission and drive shaft out of a 50 car that I intend to put in my 39 120 later next year.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 10:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Were the prewars also subject to the same large/small transmissions and input shafts the postwars were. If so, going into a 6 I'd make sure the donor trans was the proper size or if the bigger unit, the necessary clutch parts were available to fit the larger input shaft.

There was some clutch component swapping going on as well. Started in 40 I believe and there are service bulletins covering the issues. Point being that if different clutch items are needed, later components might not just bolt on without later flywheels that were drilled to accept either setup.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Thanks for all the information.

It looks like this wouldn't be as easy as I was hoping for.

I've found out that there are adapters available to modify some other overdrive unit so that it has a U-Joint on the front. This will require two drive shafts of course. A company in El Cajon, CA does this installation work, but they are very expensive. Has anyone done this modification?

By the way, I did do a search on "transmission" and "overdrive", but I couldn't find any info that applied to my situation.

We are still in the process of restoring our '38 Packard. We just had the engine rebuilt, and now it is in running condition. Most of the body parts are still removed from the body. We still need to do some rust repair and bodywork. Then, we have to get some parts re-chrome plated, get it painted, get it upholstered, etc.

I'll add our car to your registry as soon as I get a chance.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 10:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've found out that there are adapters available to modify some other overdrive unit so that it has a U-Joint on the front. This will require two drive shafts of course. A company in El Cajon, CA does this installation work, but they are very expensive. Has anyone done this modification?

I've not done it personally and have retained the stock factory gearing on my 34. I think the type of unit you're referring to is a "Mitchell" type OD with a frame-mounted installation and dual driveshafts and has been done on a fair number of early 30s Packards. A few folks I know have had this done on early Packards and tell me the complete cost was in the range of $7000.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 11:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The closest to original installation would be to install a 1939 transmission/overdrive. The wiring for a 1940 would be much more complex compared to the 39.
The adaptation of your transmission top to the 39 type gearbox is well documented.
Of course I say this with some prejudice because I can supply a nice used 39 setup... (or a 40-later...)

Attach file:

jpg  (142.86 KB)
439_50f45ecfdc3be.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/1/14 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
I put a R-6 in my 1937 6 and it works great. Saltydog

Posted on: 2013/1/14 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I have fitted an R6 trans to my 38 Six and 38 Eight. As Salty Dog says, it works great. There are a few "not for the faint hearted" mods to the X frame required and if you put a 327 into the 38 Eight it is an engine out to get the gearbox out. If you already have the engine out then you are half way there. The R6 uses centrifugal clutch for engagement and electrics for the kickdown only which I have moved to a dash press button. The adaptation of the 35-38 cane shift to the R6,9,11 box is a cinch. My 2013 " bucket list" includes fitting an R6 to one of my 37 or 38 Super Eights.....It can and shall be done. PT

Attach file:

jpg  (85.25 KB)
154_50f53095c7486.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/1/15 5:24
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved