Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Clutch Fan on Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
My '55 Patrician with factory air had the same bracket that is is in HH56's photos and oil filter mounted on left side when I bought it. Lehigh compressor was frozen, evaporator was gone and lines had been cut. Made an adaptor plate to fit the factory compressor bracket, hold new Sanden compressor and line pulley belt up with original crankshaft AC pulley for new AC system.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What did u use for an evaporator and where did u mount it???

Posted on: 2007/6/6 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard V8, Thx for posting. Gives me a couple of ideas. I think the angled bar piece might go underneath between the front left hole where there is a fair amount of unsupported overhang to possibly a bolt in the power steering pump area for vibration control.

As to the factory piece, it goes on top of the housing which makes it a royal PIA to get to thermostat because of the tight fit everywhere. Yours at least does not completely encircle the outlet although I do wonder how & where oil filter went with yours. Clearance and angles underneath also very tight which makes it very interesting to get the front bolt to head even with a universal socket.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Those of u trying to mount a Sanden or other retro fit compressor mite try using an exising mount from another car. Just mount the compressor to the donor mount and then mount that assembly to the factory Packard mount.
If u look close at the pics of my installed AC compressor u will see the 84 Toyota engine mount (and idler) sandwiched between the compressor and the Factory style homemade bracket i made.

On another note:
Instead of using the Sanden why not use the older GM (ca 1973 Chevy) type compressor????? They are relatively cheap and plentiful and BULLET PROOF!! Their size (length) is a bit of a problem tho. Adapting it to the Packard bracket mite be easily accomplished using Jaguar V12 AC mounts. Jag used the GM AC pump just like that found on ca. 1973 Chev. .

Posted on: 2007/6/6 23:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
PV-8, I've wondered about the Harrison/GM A/C compressor myself. The first thing I wondered is: why didn't Packard use that system instead of the Lehigh (which is basically a deli-counter refrigerator case system adapted into a car)probably cost. I would like to see a V-8 Packard with such a set-up. GM intorduced that compressor in 1953 and ran it almost unchanged until 1980 and they had it down.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
8 or so years ago i tried to mock up a 73 Chevy AC pump to my Packard V8. TWO problems: 1 is the length which is only a minor problem really. The major problem is MOUNTING. However, 3 years ago i picked up an 85 Jag V12 engine with the GM AC pump and it uses a very simple tab type bracket at the rear and the front and maybe an upper strut brace. I have not yet tried to mock it up iusing the Jag pump and brackets but i believe the Jag method with Packard bracket and idleer pulley is an ez way to go. U've probably inspired me to dig out the parts and give a quick mock-up a try maybe over the next day or two. Along with at least 12 other projects i have going on. I'll keep the idea at the for-front of my thots today.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
"What did u use for an evaporator and where did u mount it???"

Actually I wound up replacing the whole system with components ordered from Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL, except for the compressor bracket and the original crank pulley. The drier is mounted in front of and to left of radiator, power condenser is mounted in front of radiator. The compressor came with a, "universal," adapter plate but found that simply lining up one hole in the original bracket and drilling three holes in the Sanden swing plate that came with the compressor served to put the compressor in the right position. Has worked like a charm for going on two years. Used a replacement heat/AC/defrost box that fits under the dash in approximately the same position as the old one and has controls built in. The original had been allowed to leak, at some time, for so long that that it was, literally, a hunk of corroded metal. As with everything that I've modified on the car in order to use it as a daily driver, system can be returned to original if someone comes up with original parts. I was primarily interested in having air conditioning and there wasn't enough left of the original AC to work with.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I too use the evaporator that also has a heating element inside. It works real well in the winter, as a suplement to the original heater. Also, the cold air is nice in the summer.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/7 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
"Actually I wound up replacing the whole system with components ordered from Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL, except for the compressor bracket and the original crank pulley."

Did you use the original dash top and defroster vents without too much problem. How about the controls, both electrical with the additional control functions on modern units and existing wire cable control for the vent and heat/defrost flappers.

The shop I am talking to suggested a truck unit from a different mfg because it's a mostly mechanical cable control unit and could be adapted to existing levers but I'm not sold due to the large car vs small size AC of that particular unit.

Which unit did you wind up using and does it cool and control well. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'd like to come up with something totally modern that I can get parts and modern refrigerant for yet except for compressor look and work almost original and be hidden behind something resembling factory box under dash.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
HH56,

I ordered the following parts from Classic Auto Air:

#1-1014 Heat/Cool/Defrost Box
#12-1001 Standard "O" Ring Type Drier
#5-128 Sanden (R-134) Double V-groove Compressor
#7-1001 Sanden Swing Plate
#7-182 Universal Adapter Plate
#11-1027 Power Condenser

Lines, connectors, heater control valve and defrost control came with the kit.

There is no problem routing air to the original dash vents and defroster. The AC controls (Compressor on/off, temp control, fan speed) are located on front of heater box and not difficult to reach and I am using them. Defroster and heater control valve are cable operated and are tied in to existing dash controls. Suspect that, were I inclined to spend the time doing so (and I may, later), one could shade-tree engineer the compressor/temp/fan speed controls to work with the original controls as well but, I live in Florida and it was HOT. Have driven car, both locally and a couple of 400 mile round trips on the road, for upwards of 18 months and the system more than adequately cools the car. Temp control automatically cuts compressor in and out according to set temperature. I like the system. It does the job and parts are easy to come by if one needs them (I haven't). This was my main consideration in purchasing this, somewhat pricier, package rather than some of the less expensive ones that I found.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 12:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved