Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Clutch Fan on Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not related to the cooling topic but while everyone is gathered does anyone know the THREAD PITCH for the tie rod adjusting sleeves on the front suspension of a 56????? Probably the same on all post war.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Lloyd. Did u get a sight glass with the kit?????

Posted on: 2007/6/8 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mr.Smith, thanks for all the details and part #'s. In addition to the one you bought, there are a couple of others that look very promising.

Another question please: In using the power condenser, is there an advantage in your area vs the regular without fan? Just wondered if it was for low speed traffic or does power unit reduce radiator load significantly enough to be worth the extra 7.5 amp draw. Where I am in Calif, think we probably have approx the same temps most of time, but don't believe I have the humidity you do.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
PackardV8,

Does not have sighting glass.

HH56,

I went with power condenser primarily because of the temps, humidity and heavy traffic in the metro-Orlando area and because of the difference in physical size of condensing units. You are right to be concerned about the extra draw on the electrical system. I switched my generator for a standard, early 1980s style GM (Delco) alternator, bought locally and converted to positive ground. The generator would keep up in normal daytime driving in heavy traffic but, at night with the lights and AC on, lights dimmed noticeably and battery charging current at low speeds and idle was insufficient. The alternator neither overcharges nor undercharges battery and lights work at steady intensity. Engine temp increases slightly when using AC but remains well within acceptable operating parameters. My engine was completely overhauled and radiator re-cored two years ago.

Posted on: 2007/6/9 9:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Joe, do you remember exactly what year/make of car you got the "early GM pulley" and the "BBC 21.5" clutch fan" from? Is the pulley a single or double groove? I'm almost there with my fabrication, but it sure would help to know where to go looking for these last two items. Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Your fabricated steel brackets look just like the ones I have which mounted a Lehigh compressor.

BTW, has anyone ever tried to have the Lehigh compressor serviced? It looks just like the ones used in thousands of small in-store coolers fifty years ago.

Since I go to Lehigh, PA a couple of times a year, I thought I would look them up. Absolutely nothing comes up in an extensive web search. They must have gone out or merged way back before google.

thnx, jv.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I went to a couple of old time commercial refrig places locally several years ago when I first obtained my car and they are probably still laughing. Apparently (here at least) it wasn't even that popular on refrigerators. Was able to find a new seal from Packard suppliers but never did find valves and gaskets which is why mine does not work now. Tried to find something that would fit, but just about everything more modern had a different arrangement than the 2 sizes of circular against the valve plate. A machinist friend tried making but didn't last long as material used not correct and gasket couldn't hold pressure. York & Tecumseh used round, but different size entirely so if anyone else has suggestion, I am all ears too.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 17:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
**Original Post from JoeH moved to correct thread**

HotRod,
I used an OEM, single sheave pulley and mount flange from an early style SBC water pump. I think the change in water pumps was in late 1960s or early 70s, and it definitely requires the early style.

Basically, press the Packard flange off the water pump shaft and then press the GM one on. Because the GM pulley is shallower, the flange must be seated further down onto the WP shaft in order for the pulley to line up with the crank and generator pulleys. When aligned, there is less than .050" clearance between the WP mount bolts and the backside of the pulley.

The 21.5" fan came off a late 60s to early 70s BBC, fit the clutch perfectly, and has clearance room in the 1956GH. Generally, the engine compartment is much more crowded in a GH, so I am thinking this mod would be even easier in a Packard.

The fan is smoother, quieter, and thanks to the modern temp sensor on the face of the clutch, the clutch friction adjusts according to air temp coming thru the radiator. With the smaller diameter pulley, the water pump is sped up, and circulate the water faster, which is helpful at low RPMS.

I love the setup, just need time to convert the other one someday.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/7/17 21:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved