Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

New Packard Owner
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brad Horstmann
See User information
My 3 year search for a running/driving Packard has finally ended. I started out looking for late 30's or 40's Packard to enter into the world of old cars only to have a 1953 Packard Clipper delivered on Friday. Entire family was excited to take it for a spin which we did for 23 miles around town only to get stranded at the ice cream shop and culminating with lots of radiator fluid/oil/gas on the garage floor.

Wife needed a bottle of wine at the conclusion of the night but no worries as all appear to be small issues.

This Yosemite Blue Metallic Packard gets lots of looks and we are looking forward to taking good care of it, restoring over the course of time and enjoying many more drives going forward.

Have a great day!

Excited new Packard owner.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 20:25
 Top  Print   

Re: New Packard Owner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on the new addition. Sorry to hear the maiden voyage didn't go exactly as planned but once the little things are sorted out I think you'll find those are some of the most reliable & trouble free models Packard made.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 20:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I can think of only a few places better than an ice cream shop to be stranded at. Oh, that's right you did say you had the family with you Never mind.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 20:58
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Welcome aboard. Your Packard probably prefers vanilla as does mine. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Welcome! Sounds like a great car aside from the little "teething problems" on your maiden voyage. My '51 200 deluxe has turned into a very reliable and dependable car. Just assume all the maintinence items of the 2 year variety need to be done. I replaced all the fluids including coolent, oil, automatic transmission and differential fluids, repacked all wheel bearings, blew out all the brake lines and replaced wheel cylinders where necessary as well as a master cylinder overhaul and dropped both the engine and transmission oil pans and cleaned them out plus the usual lubrication. Having done that, my '51 has never given me any trouble; starts on the first try and the temp gauge stays right in the middle as Col. Vincent intended. For peace of mind, you might want to do a manual oil pressure test just to check the honesty of the idiot light. Mine sits at a constant 40 psi no matter what the engine speed. As a matter of fact, I wish some of that would rub off on my '55.

You are in for a wonderful Summer. And if anything should go wrong, someone here will know how to fix it, and fix it in the best time proven way with the least amount of struggle. As a body of information, this group knows everything!

Posted on: 2013/7/22 22:08
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome Iowa! Glad to have you as a member of the Packard fellowship. This is a very knowledgeable group always at the ready to give you the benefit of their experiences. Enjoy your Packard and take the family with you to share the experience.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 7:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Welcome. Go Hawks (please tell us you aren't a Cyclone person; this is (or should be) an all Hawk forum.....

My negative tidbit is to suggest that you take a long hard look at anything rubber: wipers, belts, hoses (including flex brake lines); that sort of thing. Tires, too.

If you do your own work, replacing everything (tires excepted) should give wonderful peace of mind. Rubber on an unused car can look marvelous and be crud.

Hawkeye packards will welcome you if you are not already a member.....

Posted on: 2013/7/23 14:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Pat's bit about all things rubber brings to mind a problem I had last week. Check the valve stems on your wheels - especially if you have wheel covers instead of "dog dish & trim rings". My wheel cover on the right front evidently "walked" around and sliced into the valve stem. I'm replacing mine with metal stems.

Fortunately the air loss wasn't "catastrophic" but only a slow leak. I was lucky.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 16:19
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Welcome Cedar!

While what happened on its inaugural cruise was a drag, please remember that you are not alone.

In June 2012, my wife, a friend, and I drove from Fairfax, VA to Chester, VA (just outside of Richmond) to pick up our 1955 Clipper Constellation. We were so excited about our beautiful "new" car. So, after concluding the transaction, friend Deborah and I took off in the Clipper, followed by my wife Mary in our Cadillac CTS. About 40 minutes later, just south of Hanover, VA, white smoke started pouring out from under the hood, much to wife's shock. I pulled over and turned off the engine. I opened the hood and was surprised to see the No. 8 plug wire on fire! (This is the plug closest to the transmission filler tube). I was able to put it out without resorting to using my fire extinguisher and realized that transmission fluid had backed up the filler coating the spark plug wire.

Standing there on the side of the road, I called the gentleman from whom I had just purchased the car to ask for any suggestions. He was aghast and asked me if I wanted my money back. I didn't even have to think about it before I replied, "Of course not!" I knew it had to be some kind of an anomally. Anyway, after a long while a tow truck came, loaded the Clipper on a flatbed, and transported it back to Northern Virginia almost 200 miles away. Luckily, the problem was easily (and relativey inexpensively) fixed and the car had functioned fine ever since.

Here is my advice: 1) Make sure you always carry a fire extinguisher in your car; 2) join the American Automobile Association (AAA) as a Premium member (the top grade); and 3) remember that when you own a 60-year-old car, strange or unexpected things will inevitably happen as long as you drive it. Be patient and understanding and keep a good sense of humor. This too shal pass!

You want the Premium membership because it allows you to have your car towed up to 200 miles without charge, as well as other benefits. Unless you have a brother-in-law who happens to have a large truck and a flatbed car trailer, you may find yourself in need of AAA. Also, always have your car towed on a flat bed, never hoisted and pulled like ordinary cars.

I think in a month or so when things are worked out, you and your family will be very glad you have your great car. Good luck and happy cruising!

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:27
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
welcome and congratulations on your new Packard. I have had my Packard just over 2 years and have spent much time on this site studying and learning. It is a fantastic group of people who are so kind and willing toshare their knowledge and expertise. I am so thankful for the people that share on this site.

I am as excited today about my '52 Packard as I was the day I brought it home. I have been very slow and have taken my time in learning about my car. It is the most fun I have had and I love to talk about my old car or yours.

Congratulations! I sure hope you post some pictures.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 4:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved