Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

noisy hydralic lifter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I took replaced the rings on my engine, finally got it started and now have one noisy hydraulic lifter. The car is a 51 300 with the 327. The noisy lifter is in the front of the engine. Is there way to locate exactly which lifter is noisy before taking the head off?
Thanks in advance, also I would like to thank McGyver and Ross for their help on this Forum. I replaced my 51 trans with a 53 trans (the flywheels and trans to drive shaft are different),runs beautiful now, I followed Ross' instructions for adjusting the linkage and I had all the gears with the initial adjustment. I took McGyver's advise regarding using the red scotch bright pads to smooth out the cylinder honing. I used a 4" cotton wheel usually used for polishing, wrapped the pad around it and used my hand drill the re-hone (with the pads) the cylinder walls. Worked like a champ, no problems starting, and I don't burn oil anymore.
Thanks, again
Casey Rog

Posted on: 2013/7/31 8:46
 Top  Print 

Re: noisy hydralic lifter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With the engine idling and the tappet cover removed, it shouldn't be hard to find the offending lifter. One of those cheap little engine stethoscopes would be extra handy just because of the access, but if not, gaining access thru the inner fender and using something like a screwdriver or steel rod held against each tappet bore should allow you to find the culprit rather easily.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 9:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thanks Owen,
I'll do that and plan on replacing the lifter during the winter when I can't drive the car due to the snow. I plan on driving the car a lot this summer.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 16:43
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
For the noisy lifter just take a length of rubber hose, put one end to your ear the other end to the lifter and you'll find out quick which lifter is clicking!! I did this when I got my 52 running again after 20 years and found that my one and only stuck lifter was the last one in the block.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 9:35
Love Packards
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved