Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Ebay Search - junk vendors removed
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Can this thread be anchored somewhere where it is easy to find; not treated as a disposable thread?

Posted on: 2011/8/23 14:35
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed.... moved to the For Sale/Wanted/Trade forum and "sticky'd" to the top.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 15:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My powers of observation and intuition have been utterly thwarted by the computer again: So I try this search by clicking on the link back in post 59 and am thrilled by the lack of car covers, etc. And I click on ebay motors which drops the count to only 5000 something items. I can't figure out how to refine the search to say "1953 Clipper". Where do I enter this? It won't let me type anything new in the search box. OOg.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 7:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ross -

I won't go into the coding for the URL (don't understand all of the symbols myself), but after you click on that link, the eBay results page will show the filtering elements in a field just below the page header. All the EXCLUDED items are preceded by a minus sign (-).

Now, notice that the first element is "Packard", which NOT preceded by a minus sign (-). The search first looks for ALL "Packard" items before excluding anything. You can insert additional keywords (without minus sign) in that field, each separated by a space, and click on the Search button to further refine the results.

Using your example, one would expect "1953 Packard Clipper" to pick up all items of interest. However, simply specifying "1953" would overlook any items that the seller labelled as "53". Instead, use this keyword (with syntax and parentheses):

(1953,53)

...will pick up any item listed as "1953" OR "53".

After a closer inspection of that URL, the list of NOTs sure is getting long (thanks, mainly to eBay's clear disregard for its shoppers), but I wish they were in alphabetical order - if nothing else, for easier auditing.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 9:18
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Diehard51
See User information
Thx for your endless work. I have a 51 200 4dr as well and wondered where is the best source to find the PACKARD letters on the front of the hood?

Posted on: 2012/11/22 10:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Diehard51,
to PackardInfo. Unfortunately this thread is not the best place to submit your query as its subject is a topic completely different from your request. It would have been better, and more visible, to raise a new topic in the For Sale Forum itself. Maybe BigKev could split your post and my reply out into a separate thread of it's own with a Subject like "Wanted - 51 PACKARD Hood Letters"?

That said, nevertheless, I invite you to include your '51 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/11/24 13:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
This search is no longer working for me on eBay. Anyone else having the same issue. eBay comes back with " we only have room for 100 characters"?????

This is a disaster!

Cheers
Lyndon

Posted on: 2013/6/5 5:24
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have recently been using a simplified search that works surprisingly well:

Example: 1946 Packard -fits -covers

Putting just those two modifiers on gets rid of a huge amount of trash.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 6:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Looks like some bonehead at eBay decided to change the rules (again) to favor sellers and punish shoppers. I see they even eliminated the use of the asterisk (*) as a wildcard character. No wonder I visit eBay a lot less these day.

Ross, your search is a lot simpler - luv the use of -fits. The old URL had a lot of typos and may have been excludeng Packard related items that some might be interested.

However, your -covers criteria excludes things like wheel covers. Instead, "-car cover" (be sure include the quotations marks, which work as the logical operator, AND) will filter out any listings for a car cover, but pick up wheel covers.

Another problem we need to keep in mind is computer crap that gets picked up in some Packard searches WRT Packard Bell and Hewlett Packard (HP). Taking into account some bastardized spellings I've found, you might wanna add the following string:

-bell -hewett -hewlett -hewlet -hp

With all that in place, I went through ten pages of search results (for V8s) and it looked pretty clean - for now.

Let us know if you find any other criteria for screening out undesirables.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 9:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I guess I'm a little slow, but how does one use and edit this search for their own use? When I click on the provided link, it sends me to eBay with the search already configured and get thousands of listing (too many). When I try to save the search in eBay, I always get a "Can't save this search" error message.

I see in the threads that people are helping to keep the search refined, and I would like to help, as well.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:34
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved