Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 73

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: In need of a thermostat housing for a '51 288.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Diehard51
See User information
Thx for the heads up on a part, but not sure it will work on my '51 according to the above post. Anybody have further info?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a 51 and a spare 50 288. Both of them have the same water neck housing. If memory serves me correctly, somewhere around that time, Packard switched from a cast neck to a sheet metal neck, but both will fit the engine. The attachment mechanism for the thermostat might be different.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The sheet metal neck is correct for 51-54. Also prone to rust out. If you can spare the cash, get the brass one from PI. It will out last you and the car.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 8:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Diehard51
See User information
Anybody know for sure if a thermostat housing off a '48 Super 8 will work on my '51 288? The cross reference parts list shows the gasket to be the same. I read the above posts and think I've narrowed things down and then someone offers a part that is questionable as far as being compatible. I don't mind buying the brass repro, but if his will work, I'm good.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 14:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved