Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Amelia Island Concours, 2014
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assume almost all of you are aware of the Amelia Island Concours, one of the premier Concours in the U.S. At our Metro Region CCCA Christmas party yesterday I heard that the Marano Collection is currently planning on sending 10 cars including their postwar Packard show cars to Amelia Island. This should be something really special for Packard folk, the first time all of these will be on public display at the same time and place, so if possible consider putting Amelia Island on your travel schedule. I expect the cars to be shown may include:

Panther Daytonas, 2
Balboas, 2
Monte Carlo
Pan American
Macauley speedster
Request
Henney Coupe (not a factory exercise but unique nonetheless)

Posted on: 2013/12/2 18:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Amelia Island Concours, 2014
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

So one of the Monte Carlos is restored, wondered if its the rough one that was in Michigan years ago.

What is the Henney coupe?

Steve

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Since I'm from the Soutwest, I didn't know where Amelia Island is located. So, for those like me:

Quote:
Amelia Island is an island in Nassau County, Florida. One of the southernmost of the Sea Islands, a chain of barrier islands stretching along the east coast of the United States from South Carolina to Florida...

Sounds like a great show, too bad it's so far away.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:47
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi Dave

So one of the Monte Carlos is restored, wondered if its the rough one that was in Michigan years ago.

What is the Henney coupe?

Steve

I was unaware that there was more than one (possibly two different designs with the same name???), but the one that Marano has was VERY rough.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 21:06
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Only one Monte Carlo that I'm aware of on the Reinhart style, the earlier one was a 23rd series car which no longer exists (if interested, use the search feature, we discussed at length on this site some years back). I saw the Monte Carlo as it was enroute from the seller to Ralphs, it was very presentable.

The 10th Marano car at Amelia should be the Vignale, a 1938 Eight (aka 120) chassis delivered prewar to Vignale, hidden during the war years and completed in 1948. It was not a Packard show car but very interesting nonetheless.

Likewise we've pictured the Henney coupe here before but if I can quickly find a picture or two I'll add them. Again, it was not a factory-sanctioned show car but a creation for a private owner.

All of these cars will be the subject of an article in an upcoming issue of The Packard Club's quarterly publication.

Attach file:

jpg  (92.18 KB)
177_529d677faff38.jpg 1280X768 px

Posted on: 2013/12/3 0:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
As Arte Johnson would say "Veeeery interesting" behind a palm tree.

1951 rear fender scallops
1951-52 rear fender sheild
1951-52 back-up lights
1953 rear back-up lights
1954 air conditioning
1954-56 rocker moldings

I wonder if this is a short wheelbase car with senior rear fenders or a long (127") wheelbase with two door styling.
Kinda makes one wonder why Packard never had a senior two door model or at least a '350' series. All of the side chrome really looks good for an early fifties look and definetly looks like a pricey car.

Posted on: 2013/12/3 8:36
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dave

Thanks for posting the Henney coupe picture, it jogged my memory. It's a very dolled-up effort though likely would have found buyers at the time. One wonders why they didn't build it on the Mayfair hardtop body. One would look great with all the Patrician details and a formal padded top.

Where I got the impression that there were two Contour Monte Carlos from the letter published in the June 1989 Cormorant News Bulletin sent in by David B. Rietz of Highland Park, Ill. Along with his comments about locating "one of the two 1952 Packard Monte Carlo showcars" is a period photo of one with the owner and wife. She is standing up on the front seat to demonstrate the open roof. He notes the one he located was very rusty from exposure to Michigan winter.

The earlier 22nd Series Monte Carlo is known to be lost so I had discounted it. So, the question is, were there really two 1952-based Monte Carlos or is that just old, erroneous information filed in my memory?

Steve

Posted on: 2013/12/3 13:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
RE: the Marano Panthers... these two cars are simply and correctly known as "Panther" but not "Panther-Daytona." This is a fallacy that has persisted ever since one of them hit the big "classic car auction" circuit years ago and the yarns about Panthers have since grown wilder and wilder and wilder. The original Panther history published in The Packard Cormorant magazine is accurate... even after all these years.

The Marano cars were privately-owned Panthers in the 1950s. The Daytona nomenclature was only added to the two factory Panthers that were never modified into having 1955 cathedral tail lights. Panther-Daytonas had superchargers...Panthers did not. Panther-Daytonas had '54 Clipper tail lights... Panthers (in their final form) did not and instead had 1955 cathedral type senior tail lights. And there were only four Panthers (including ALL flavors-Daytona or not) ever made despite silly arguments that persist about this. I knew these cars from when they were first built and had friends who actually built them.

RE: the 1952-53 Monte Carlos... there were two of these DeVille-style open top cars built...both with different colors and trim. I suspect a third may have been replicated somehow in later years.

RE: the 22nd series Monte Carlo... there were at least two different versions done.

These are facts... but they'll just likely set off more endless stories and arguments.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 13:04
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved