Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

What is the most unusual bit of Packardiana in your collection?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Rare, unusual, clever, ahead of its time or not likely to ever have a time.....

I always wanted (and still want) the prism to let you see stoplights....

What's your bit here?

Posted on: 2013/12/22 0:36
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: What is the most unusual bit of Packardiana in your collection?
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Would a bumper mounted luggage rack on a 1948 qualify ?

Posted on: 2013/12/22 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My 56 hardtop came to me with a device, located under the dash, just to the right of the TL switch, that used vacuum to draw up either engine oil or transmission fluid into a split sight glass. It has two pushbuttons labeled T and C and has a single light bulb to illuminate the fluids from behind. It is now disconnected, but the previous owner said it was in lieu of both underhood dipsticks. If you pushed the button and no oil appeared in the sight glass, you knew that you were low and should add some. I'm supposing that the vacuum would have nothing to draw up but air if the levels were below a certain point. Wisely, the car now has real dipsticks for both functions, but it leaves me to wonder if anyone knows the name or brand of the device, or how it worked in real life. The color matches the rest of the dash paint, so I am wondering if this might have been sourced by the dealer and probably not from a J.C. Whitney catalog?

No vacuum-powered ashtrays, but there's also a nicely done pull lever that retards the distributor timing for easier warm weather starting. It is still connected but the car seems to start nicely, warm weather or cold, without using it.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 12:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Pat, if you want one of the prisms so that you can see the traffic light under the exterior sun visor, try one of the older Chevrolet vendors. I bought one for my neighbor's 51 Chevy from LMC.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Looking for an original prism (guide type) at a halfway reasonable price....

Don't like the look or feel of the plastic ones with the suction cup....

The oil gauge setup seems quite unusual.

Luggage rack on a 48? Was it an older item cobbled on? Sounds unusual.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 18:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pat, with the exception of taxi cabs, 1940 was the last year for rear trunk racks on Packards. They were available on the taxis thru the 22nd series I believe.

If you want a Guide prismatic traffic light finder, just go out and buy one, they've been around as repro items for a long time. Depending on how you want to attach it (I put mine on the lower windshield trim strip, using one of the screw holes) you might have to fabricate a little bracket if you don't want to drill a hole thru the trim.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In October '47 Mr. Ralph Hayne became export manager for Packard as a new hire and attended an extensive training course on all aspects of Packard policy and operations. He kept copious notes---more than 180 hand written pages. A large portion of this is a blow by blow description of how to assemble a 22nd series car in a foreign country from components. Right down to how to install headliners. Oh, and proving ground test protocols. And internal memos addressing quality issues. All of this in a small format three ring binder a friend got at, I believe, a flea market. Very cool, and quite arcane.

Here is an excerpt:

"Wheels are rec'd with prime coat all over--wheels shipped to export in condition as rec'd.

At Packard the inside of all wheels are painted black, the outside to specified color. This operation is performed automatically......Paint is synthetic (enamel) instead of laquer.--This automatic spray places the equivalent of two spray coats on the wheel. the wheel is then dried at 250 degrees F for one hour."

I am tickled to death to have all this insight in a small notebook.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 20:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, that sounds like a fascinating set of doucments. I hope at some time it or a copy of it can be placed in the archives at the PPG or Warren Museum. A few teasers scanned and posted here would be a real treat!

Posted on: 2013/12/22 20:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The idea that started this was a Pines winterfront for a 20s Packard on Craigslist.

So what else lurks in your man cave waiting to see the light of day????????

Posted on: 2013/12/23 11:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many curious little documents on various topics, like this one of a "lost" car. Document courtesy of Arthur (Jim) Balfour.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.49 KB)
177_52b86b548809a.jpg 895X500 px

Posted on: 2013/12/23 11:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved