Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 86

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 32 »

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I think its optical illusion. Look at how the shadow of the light falls. If its embossed the light would be coming from the bottom. And the shadow falls the same for all the letters/numbers.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 11:09
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The stamping appears to be embossed. If you look at the first three numbers 892, you can see an accumulation of dirt in the hollows formed by the embossing. If that were a stamping, dirt would not accumulate in that manner. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 11:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I think its optical illusion. Look at how the shadow of the light falls. If its embossed the light would be coming from the bottom. And the shadow falls the same for all the letters/numbers.

BDC, to follow the light was a good idea. Please review the plate. The shadows at the bottom edge of the plate and within its four holes reveal that the incident light came from above. Click to enlarge.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Quote:
The stamping appears to be embossed. If you look at the first three numbers 892, you can see an accumulation of dirt in the hollows formed by the embossing. If that were a stamping, dirt would not accumulate in that manner. Just my opinion.

Randy your close monitoring finds confirmation when looking at the backside of the plate. The seller has been so kind to publish it.
After enlarging, image mirroring and turning it upside down the last four digits are recognizable. Below a contrasting juxtaposition of front and back after image processing.

Dave, I'm with Mal on that.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.84 KB)
757_52c5b6d8320a4.jpg 925X654 px

jpg  (10.57 KB)
757_52c5b724ca76d.jpg 500X441 px

Posted on: 2014/1/2 13:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for your thoughts on this. If indeed it has raised numerals (embossed from the back) it's quite a rarity, I've never seen or heard of one. There is a Packard historian of some note who has made a bit of speciality on studying these, I'll send him an image and see what he thinks.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 14:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, not embossed from the back but visible from the back in mirror writing after embossed from the front.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, I'm confused. I thought the original poster was offering the suggestion that the numerals were raised above the surrounding surface, not pressed into it. Perhaps that wasn't his question.

So maybe instead of using the terms "embossed", "stamped", etc. we should be asking, are the numerals raised above the surrounding surface or depressed into it? If the former, it's unique, if the latter, it's the norm thru 1953.

PS - went back to the original post to re-read it. I see he's questioning embossed versus stamped but without noting whether he might have meant embossed from the front or from the back. So, to be clear, to me the font and numerals look exactly like any other pre-1954 plate. Exactly how Packard stamped or embossed (front the front) the numbers is not known to me but probably roll-stamped.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 15:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, sorry for the utter confusion. My dictionary makes no distinction between embossing, stamping and stamp and when Randy mentioned that the "stamping appears to be embossed" I've confused the issue. Probably one of the finest mixes I've ever done.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.00 KB)
757_52c6e3ee98291.jpg 500X363 px

Posted on: 2014/1/3 11:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Gusha, I'm confused. I thought the original poster was offering the suggestion that the numerals were raised above the surrounding surface, not pressed into it. Perhaps that wasn't his question.

Dave & Gerd,

My original question relates to the numbers being raised above the surrounding surface and which I called embossed, as opposed the usual stamping of numbers into the plate.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I understood embossing to mean the same as Mal.
Us Malcolms stick together.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 17:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, et. al. - The plate looks to be stamped to me, figures pressed in.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/4 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved