Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Best freeway packards
Just popping in
Just popping in

tonkavstar
See User information
Hi,

I have a question that might need a long, detailed answer. From newest packards back, what are the best packards for today's freeways. No quick or flip answers please. This is something I'd really like to know. Thank you.

Tonka vstar.
Minnetonka, MN.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 10:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Best freeway packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Welcome to the forum, Vstar.
One equipped with overdrive, and one that has had its front end completely rebuilt. My 1940 Super Eight 180 is very at home on the freeway and easily does 75mph. I also have slightly oversized tires on it (7.50 vs 7.00), which adds a little extra to the overdrive gearing.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 10:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suggest that the requirements for a Packard intended for extensive highway touring at today's speeds would have 4 requirements; high quality tires (probably but not necessarily radials), hydraulic brakes, independent suspension, and either factory overdrive or high speed differential gears installed if the original rear axle ratio is taller than about 3.5 or so. So this pretty much could include any of the prewar Senior models 1937 and later, any of the junior prewar cars with suitable gearing, and most anything postwar (but again, with proper gearing).

Of course all the vehicle's mechanical systems should be in excellent condition, and important among these is the suspension and steering systems, along with an good wheel alignment.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
All of the above posts are very wise advice.
I might add that any prewar car, Packard or other make, will probably require some kind of suspension modifications to suppress high speed.body roll at speeds much above 45mph. For.example taking an interchange ramp at 55 mph or faster. Never driven a pre-war packard so might not.apply to Packard. Just keep it in mind. Perhaps others can confirm or deny my conjexure.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 11:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....any prewar car, Packard or other make, will probably require some kind of suspension modifications to suppress high speed.body roll at speeds much above 45mph

Major high speed highways, especially Interstates, don't ordinarily have sharp or unbanked turns, at least not without forewarning, so I'd think suspension modifications are unneeded though as implied above, the suspension which of course includes shock absorbers, sway bars, lateral rear sway bar for those models that have it, should be in good condition. These cars, when new, crossed the country back and forth with regularity on highways that were for the most part far less forgiving than those of today.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
One aspect not mentioned is power. On the 900-mile drive back to Portland from Big Sur on the I-5 freeway there were some very long climbs. I passed all trucks, but many modern cars passed me powered by a 356 straight 8. I wasn't in overdrive all the way going up those long steep grades (that sometimes seemed endless).

The cooling system, too, comes into play here far more than the suspension.

The suspension, brakes, steering, clutch and transmission were critical in driving Hwy 1 down the northern California coast. But on the freeway, the overdrive was essential to keep up. In California it's a little dangerous to go slow (under 45) on the freeway.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Answer to the OP's Q: any 1955-56 (V-8) Packard, assuming all mechanical systems are up to snuff as posted above.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/1/15 13:47
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day tonkavstar,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your Packard/s in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Regarding your question I have a '41 120 Club Coupe with O/D, suspension rebuilt, wheel alignment and radials. Here the absolute limit on most freeways and better highways is 110kmh about 65mph, which is heavily enforced, and I have no trouble maintaining that in most situations. I note Joe's advice about cooling system health and on long, long climbs see my temp gauge creep up but not so far as to become worrisome.

Never had any experience with one, but would imagine a V8 Packard with it's relatively higher revving engine and relatively lower final gearing would be best suited to the scenario you mention?

Posted on: 2014/1/15 13:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
Drove out to the Fredrick Maryland swap meet last May from Havre De Grace Md in my 55 Clipper Custom Constellation with no problems. I-95 south to the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) over to I-70 West and drove the car like I would drive a modern car and it didn't even breath hard. The Torsion Level ride gets better the faster you go. Once I hit I-70 West I was averaging about 70 mph. On the way home got caught in a Friday afternoon beltway madhouse and had no overheating problems. My car is not a "hanger queen" I drive it year round when the roads are clean and it is the equal of any modern cars I drive keeping in mind it is 40's and 50's technology. I'm not talking about handling because it's not a BMW but just driving the way the car was designed to be driven. Everbody will have thier own ideas on this but in my opinion we should not get too hung up on the idea that these cars are fragile just because they are old. Of course this is assuming you are driving a car that is mechanically sound and safe and not a safety wired rust bucket. When the car was new people bought the horsepower and our V-8 Packards have a lot more horsepower than many current day products so highway speed is easy! Just do it!

Posted on: 2014/1/15 19:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also illegal to go under 45mph on a Calif freeway. You will get a ticket for under-speed, cause at that point you are a road hazard.

The only exception is if you are being piloted (aka oversized loads) or the freeway is the only accessible route through an area (mountain pass, etc). Typically those stretches also allow bicycles on the shoulder, or have a lane for them.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 11:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved