Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 122

Don B, Gar, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Engine swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If it was me, I would make the deal!

Posted on: 2014/3/17 18:28
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The 39 Business Coupe is a beautiful car, and highly desirable. Most folks can't tell the difference between a 282 39 engine and a 288. I would strongly encourage you to do it. You will get a nice performing car out of the deal and save it from being rodded! Of course, this assumes that the coupe is a 120 or 160 and not a 110. The 110 came with a six cylinder and the 8 is too long to fit. I have a 39 120 four door sedan and love it, but would probably commit several mortal sins to get a nice coupe. And wouldn't get concerned about the age of the engine, unless you plan on showing the car at Pebble Beach or similar shows.
Go for it!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/17 20:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Al
See User information
Interesting.... How do I tell if it's the 110,120,or 160 ?

Posted on: 2014/3/17 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Better a 49 Packard straight eight than a small block Chevy.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 22:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"How do I tell if it's the 110"

If it still has the engine it'll be a 6 cylinder. If the engine is missing, just measure the wheelbase, 110's are 122" while 120 & 160 are 127". Of course if it has an ID plate that'd help too! 110 Business Coupe = 1288-XXXX, 120 = 1298-XXXX, there was no 160 Business Coupe.

Posted on: 2014/3/18 0:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Check out this section of the model info
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=927

You will see that the 1700 series (110 Six) has different side trim on the hood from the 1701 (120 Eight cylinder). But the key item is the 5" shorter wheelbase.
It would be great if the car is a 120, as you could use the 49 engine. But I'd still go for it; six cylinder engines are fairly easy to find. If your 49 is in decent shape, and hopefully running, I bet you could find someone in this site who would swap you one for a 49. The six is basically the same engine as the 282, same bore, stroke, etc, just two less cylinders. The carb is different (one barrel versus 2) and the manifolds are different. But still a very nice engine and easy to work on.

And if every thing else goes to pot, I've seen a 39 or 40 110 replica police car with a Ford six cylinder in it, at the Packard gathering in Salado Texas a number of years ago. Probably much easier than a Chev V8!

Posted on: 2014/3/18 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thank you for the reference, O_D. I hope my comment was not taken as critical of anyone else's, it was just meant to stimulate some discussion.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hey I have an idea - put a chevy crate motor 383 stroker in it, backed up by a turbo-hydramatic and a posi rear axle-keep the exterior stock and then smoke every car on the highway!!!!! Anyway could you post photos of this car?

Posted on: 2014/3/19 11:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
"there was no 160 Business Coupe". (In 1939)

This statement by Ozstatman made me go off and do some research, but that is correct. They had a Super Eight (160) Club Coupe in 39, 40 and 41, but a Business Coupe only in 40 and 41.
I see a Twelve Coupe listed as available for 2-4 passengers, but they do not call it a Club Coupe. Was that a rear bench seat or jump seats ? Quite an attractive car...boy wouldn't that be the ultimate coupe!

40Clubcoupe

Posted on: 2014/3/19 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ok, here is a very nice Packard street rod that was at the LA Packards International show - an example of how nice a rod can look. Me, I would have left the bumpers and hood ornament on, used after market Packard wire wheels, and not changed the instruments. It does have a good size V8 in it. Still very nicely done.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.08 KB)
1679_532a3eea9eefe.jpg 640X428 px

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved