Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cleaning and replacing the oil pan gasket 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings it is spring and a young mans fancy turns to his sleeping 1942 Packard. I would like to change and clean the oil pan on my 160, Any tips on how to go about it properly and what to clean and what to look for once I get the pan off. Also any idea if I can get a pan gasket from NAPA and what part number to ask for Thanks Dale

Posted on: 2014/3/21 21:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Cleaning and replacing the oil pan gasket 356
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Remove Pan
Clean pan
look for chunks. Bearing slivers are bad. Rod nuts worse.
Install pan.

A pan gasket will be less frustrating through a vender here than through NAPA.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from 64avanti.

To remove the pan you will need to remove the steering linkage idler arm from the frame. It is on the left-hand side frame rail and is fastened with two bolts. This will allow you to pull the linkage down so the pan will clear it. Also, you will need to remove the lower bell housing. You may need to rotate the crankshaft a bit in order for the front of the pan to clear the engine and cross member. You will also want to remove the screen on the oil pump pick up float and clean it.

Look around for any foreign matter in the pan. This would be a good time to change the oil filter too.

I like to straighten the bolt hole flange on the oil pan. The bolts will dimple the flange and this will prevent good fit and may cause some leaking.

Generally it is a good afternoon's job. Not too difficult once you get the car jacked up. Be safe and use jack stands.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/3/22 10:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I cleaned out the oilpan on my 36 120 yesterday, and it took some phone calls from underneath the car to Flackmaster for some advice (and some mental cheering on), and some busted knuckles to get the oilpan down. Steering linkage on an unrestored 78 yr old car don't come lose very easy! I also learned that the 35 & 36 models have a brace to stiffen up the frame that needs to come off in order to get the oilpan down. And also the bottom of the bellhousing needs to come off.
The oilpan itself looked pretty darn good! In the bottom was no more than 1/8 inch with sludge, no signs of metal or other foreign objects whatsoever!
The next time it won't take as long now I know what needs to be done to get it down.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 8:40
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved