Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Roland Irle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

31 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
I'm wishing my engine had a good old fashioned dipstick but it doesn't, so I'm asking if the glass dial type that I do have is a reliable indicator of the oil level. Did they return to dipstick after 31?

Posted on: 2014/4/3 7:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 31 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
We rely on the one in the 1930 Speedster. The best way to know is to keep track of how many quarts you're pouring in, and watch the dial.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 7:36
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did they return to dipstick after 31?

Dipstick had returned by 1933 though thru 1934 they continued to have the crankcase float and electric oil level indicator but the level indicator now read on the gasoline/oil dash gauge by pressing a small button beneath the gauge to select whether you were reading gas or oil levels. At least on my car it continues to reliably read the oil level.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 7:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Thank you. A dipstick would have been so much simpler it seems to me. Oh well, what is,is.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That's a Packard exclusive meant to allow checking the oil without carrying dirty rags in your expensive Packard.

Before the sight glass they used leveling taps operated by a lever reachable without getting dirty.

Just drain and refill the oil by the quart and check the gauge.

The drain plugs need only be 10 or so ftlbs of torque and over tightening creates big problems.

The gauge is easily repaired if it doesn't work.

Oil gauges were a common feature, but only Packard used the fancy watch crystal type.

Posted on: 2014/4/3 17:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roadster
See User information
Dave,

I may be able to help you out. I just went through a similar experience with my '29. You can reach me at 518-772-5514.

Thanks

Paul

Posted on: 2014/4/3 19:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Thanks folks, Paul, I'm out of town for this week and I'll call you when I get back.

Posted on: 2014/4/4 8:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Sharon and David
See User information
Paul, I tried to get a hold of you but phone # is somehow screwed up. Call me at 518- 674-3055

Posted on: 2014/4/17 20:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved