Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

tie rods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
Does anyone know where I can get a ballstud for the tie rod ends on a 1934 standard 8 model 1101. I have the springs and spacers but am missing just 1 of the ballstud. Are the studs the same as the drag link studs? All so I need to know where I can get a rebuild kit for the water pump for the same year. It is a 320 ci. motor? 1934 lonny

Posted on: 2014/4/14 17:30
 Top  Print 

Re: tie rods
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll most probably have to consider having a machine shop make the ball studs. You can probably get a copy of Packard's engineering drawing from the Proving Grounds, though I may already have it - I'll look and if so I'll add it to this post so check back later.

There really is no market for anyone to make water pump kits for those and earlier 320 and 385 engines. The two ball bearings are just off-the-shelf common bearings at any good bearing store, ditto for the seals. An option is buy sealed rather than open bearings and you'll eliminate the need to lubricate thru the oiler. The packing, either split rings or just plain graphited cord seal is also commonplace, the former thru vendors in Hemmings, the later at any plumbing supply store. I used graphited cord packing on mine about 40 years ago and haven't had to replace it yet. The large copper gasket between the pump body and the block is available from multiple sources including the usual Packard vendors.

UPDATE: I have the engineering drawing for some earlier tie rod ball studs, but not for #209387 as used on the 1934 Eights. The water pump bearings are New Departure #1303; replacement for the inner seal (184596) is National 450030. For the outer seal (183959) try National 450043. Perhaps this picture will be helpful, it shows the preformed packing rings though you'll do just a well with graphite cord packing and forming it into the cavity. Of course you'll have to adjust the packing nut a few times, and correct packing tightness is to allow an occasional drop of coolant, that's what the little cup-shaped cavity is for. Refurbishing this type of water pump is about as simple as it gets, assuming the shaft and impellor are OK.

Attach file:

jpg  (192.48 KB)
177_534cab0672161.jpg 1280X1067 px

Posted on: 2014/4/14 19:59
 Top  Print 

Re: tie rods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
thank you for the info.

Posted on: 2014/4/19 10:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved