Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ignition System Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
It's a in-line fuel filter, mounted after the electric fuel pump. I plan on replacing it asap, after I install the new points/condenser. I did use starter fluid spray directly into the carb, but still not start.

I cracked the 7/8 cover nut on the fuel inlet to the carburetor and fuel came spraying out. Everything in the fuel system has been re-built, replaced with new. That includes all the fuel lines and cleaning and coating of the fuel tank.

Posted on: 2014/4/13 21:48
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may want to consider installing the in-line fuel filter before the electric fuel pump. This will protect the pump.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/14 12:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
That's a good idea, I'll look into it.

One other thing, when I was trying to start the car, I heard a high-pitched humming coming from, I think, the voltage regulator Could that indicate a problem of a ruined voltage regulator?

Posted on: 2014/4/14 16:09
Bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is your battery still reading 6.3 just sitting? Jason at AER would be a better person to answer what the noise is and if the regulator could have been damaged. Just looking at the wiring diagram, assuming the car is wired as it shows then I don't see a path. The charger would over voltage the battery which would connect to and go thru ammeter back to regulator but the cutout relay points should have been open blocking any further feed thru regulator or generator. Ign key off would prevent anything there so that only leaves clock and a couple of door light bulbs that might have seen the 12v.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The battery reads 5.94v just sitting (after sitting on the 4-amp/6-volt charger for a couple of days. The battery acid in each cell is up to the proper level.

I don't know what is AER? Is Jason a member here at PI? How can I contact Jason?

Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Is your battery still reading 6.3 just sitting? Jason at AER would be a better person to answer what the noise is and if the regulator could have been damaged. Just looking at the wiring diagram, assuming the car is wired as it shows then I don't see a path. The charger would over voltage the battery which would connect to and go thru ammeter back to regulator but the cutout relay points should have been open blocking any further feed thru regulator or generator. Ign key off would prevent anything there so that only leaves clock and a couple of door light bulbs that might have seen the 12v.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 21:24
Bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless the meter is out of whack 5.94 sounds a bit low for something that has been on a charger. The 6v charger should be putting out close to 7v and generally the battery will read close if not slightly over the nominal 6.3v for a period of time after removing the charger. I would be curious what it drops to when you are trying to start the car. If it is dropping to 5v give or take while the starter is cranking, the car will have a very weak spark.

Jason is poster "startergenrebuilder" and is a frequent contributor on site.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.84 KB)
209_534dee47691d6.jpg 333X100 px

jpg  (15.64 KB)
209_534dee6f1217e.jpg 420X141 px

Posted on: 2014/4/15 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks Howard,

I'll check with Jason about the regulator (or possible cause of the hum. The battery may well be past-it and will be replaced as needed. I'll also check the voltage of the battery while trying to start.

This will probably take me some time as I'm going with a friend to Andover, MN to pick-up my newly rebuilt heads for my '56 Exec

Posted on: 2014/4/15 22:01
Bob

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The most reliable means of testing a battery is either via a load cell tester, or measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a battery hydrometer. After charging, all cells should read 1.260 or a bit better; if one cell is much lower than the others, the battery is failing. If you have an old Motor's Manual, it gives guidance on evaluating the specific gravities of the electrolyte.

Posted on: 2014/4/15 22:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Starters attempting to crank an engine when the battery is low will sometimes whine. I have never heard a regulator do anything other than click.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 6:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
O_D and Ross thanks,

I do have a battery load tester, although I don't know if it works for both 6 and 12 volts, and I have to locate it. I think that I have a battery hygrometer, as well. The noise came from the driver side and I don't know for sure where it came from. I assumed the regulator, but it could very well be from the starter. I have some work to do.

If I remember correctly that the batter load tester will detect and identify an over-charging condition and the cell specific gravity test will show an undercharged condition. Am I correct?

Quote:

Ross wrote:
Starters attempting to crank an engine when the battery is low will sometimes whine. I have never heard a regulator do anything other than click.

Posted on: 2014/4/16 11:05
Bob

Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved