Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Dive & Screech
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
My '54 Clipper Deluxe is getting sorted out. One continuing headache is a tendency for the car to lock up the left front wheel and dive in that direction when it comes to a stop. There is also a horrible screech from that side as brakes are applied. I dread approaching corners when anyone can hear me coming. Sounds like a train wreck about to happen.

The car still stops OK and the dive to left can be easily corrected with just a bit of steering to right.

The problem is intermittent. At faster speeds, the brakes can be applied with no noise or pulling, but I notice a pulse if I feather the brake a bit.

It's only when braking at slower speed and coming to a stop that the noise and diving/pulling happen.

I imagine the noise is tire squeal, but it almost sounds more internal, like metal on metal.

It happens more when the brakes warm up, like after a few around-town stops. The first stops are usually fine.

The car sits about an inch lower on that corner as well.

The Shop Manual has a wealth of obscure possibilities (including the rear axle being misaligned!) but I think it's simpler than that. Of course, I've checked tire pressure.

The brakes have new shoes and wheel cylinders, but get this, the EXACT SAME noise and diving happened before the brake job!

That makes me worry about additional possibilities like bent suspension parts, loose or bent steering parts, other issues with brake parts such as the backing plate. Maybe there's even low fluid pressure to the RF due to blockage in the lines, putting all the braking on the LF, although the lines were cleared and brakes bled during brake job.

Any ideas where to look for the problem? It could be so many things, and is so troubling. I want to get it fixed the first time.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 17:34
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Dive & Screech
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's any consolation, the screech even happened on occasion when new. There is an episode of the old Superman series where Perry White and one of the other characters come barreling in at a high rate of speed to save someone -- probably Lois Lane. Can't remember which model Packard other than 51-3 period. When Perry slammed on the brakes, the nose dived and the brakes let out a very loud screech as the car skidded to a stop.

I am really surprised they didn't edit the noise out but probably too hard to do in those days without reshooting the scene -- and they were on a budget. Anyway, the day and character were saved in spite of the noise -- and probably the Packard too although I don't remember seeing it in any more episodes.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, I'm not Superman, who could just stick his feet through the floorboards like Fred Flintstone! I don't think the car is safe until this gets corrected. If the whole front dived and just the tires screeched, I'd consider that a lot more normal for those days of the Daily Planet.

I just don't want to wind up with my picture IN the daily papers. "Car slides out of lane as driver frantically tries to steer."

Posted on: 2014/6/28 18:08
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'd recommend taking a look at the left front brake hose, it may be collapsing internally. This can happen even if it looks OK on the outside, as I found out with a similar condition on the right front. The condition hid itself well, I could bleed that cylinder with no apparent problem. When I finally took that hose off and blew air through it, it took 41 psi pressure to get air through it; air went through the other side needing virtually no pressure. I would also recommend replacing all three hoses if that one proves to be faulty.

As to the uneven riding height, I would suspect the coil spring may be faulty first, before such exotic things as a misaligned rear axle. The springs determine the riding height and they can lose their tension over time and mileage. If the springs are original, or if you don't know when they may have been replaced, that might be something for you to think about. Of course instead of replacing the front springs you could just put a spring spreader in there to bring that side up, but that's not a real fix. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 18:22
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree the spring is probably sagging causing the inch low. Packard actually had spacers that would go in the spring sockets for some models if a customer wanted a quick fix and didn't want to spend on new springs.

You say new shoes etc. Any chance there might have been grease that got on the linings. That is something than can cause a grab and noise. The pulsating on light pressure could be vacuum fluctuation if you have power brakes but is probably a drum that might have warped a bit and is now out of round. How are the A arm bushings. If those were old and cracked the recent driving could have worsened the situation. I've seen some where the rubber has fallen out and is all but gone letting metal ride against metal and the arm get cocked Usually you kind of hear kind of a knock or bang when going over a bump if that is the case.

--One other thing. Has anyone followed behind you to check if any thing is bent say a wheel wobbling in or out or anything out of line etc?

Posted on: 2014/6/28 18:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
HH56,

All good hints. I think the A arm bushings would be a good place to start. I just didn't know which part of steering/suspension might be the likeliest culprit. I suspect the drum(s) could be out of round causing the pulsation. It does have power brakes, so if the drums look good, I'll check the vacuum hoses.

Doubtful that it's grease on the lining, since it had the same issues before and after the brake job, but of course that'll be checked again, too.

No one has followed and noticed any wheel wobble problem.

Don,

Wouldn't it be the RF hose collapse that would cause it to grab on the LF wheel? I don't think the hoses were replaced during the brake job, so it's definitely worth a check.

Thanks for the hints. Any and all are appreciated, if there are any more.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 19:09
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
These are the spacers that I found under the springs when I diasassembled my front suspension. This car lived on a farm so I assume they wanted a little more stiffness in the front for the rough dirt roads. When I went back together I reinstalled the spacers too.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.10 KB)
34001_53af6770b03b3.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/6/28 20:10
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Re: Brake squeak & pull. Yes, you would think that the opposite side hose was faulty but that's not how it was with mine. I think the collapse was acting like a check valve, not opening until line pressure went above 41 psi, but then trapping the fluid in the cylinder and locking it up. I discovered it quite by accident, finally pulling the hoses to blow them out to clear any crud that may have been in them. In any event, both of your hoses should be checked.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 20:22
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
These older cars have no; automatic adjusters, proportioning valves, or dual systems, so one wheel can easily lock up if the braking is not even.
If it's a squeal, it's probably not suspension, that's more squeeky. So could be something inside the wheel causing the pad to grab or too tightly adjusted. I'd definitely pull that wheel first, easiest place to check.

Had a similar problem when I first got my Cad. Owner just had the brakes readjusted. No noise but one front wheel locking and car diving, and it turned out the grease seal had been leaking for some time and the pads were badly contaminated with caked on dirt/grease. It had the old fiber seals and someone tried to reuse it during past service. They warped seal removing it - saved $30.

My Packard seals in the back were loose and grease got in but mostly out because they have a catch shield and didn't get to the pads. Not sure whether the later models have this feature or not. It's tidy - thinking of everything...

Posted on: 2014/6/28 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm certainly a big fan of replacing the brake hoses (and all the tubing as well) but am not sure that is the problem in this instance.

Once had a car where the the shoes were heavily contaminated by a brake fluid/grease mixture. Put the new shoes on and cleaned the drum, I thought, very carefully. After a few stops had heavy pulling to that side and screeching. Was shocked to find the surface of the shoes streaked with black--apparently came out of the cast iron. Sanded the shoes clean and sanded the drum surface and wasted a lot of brake cleaner on them. Has been fine for the last 14 years.

I only turn drums on the lathe as a last resort if they are heavily scored. It is the mass of the drum that absorbs the heat energy of braking until it can be dissapated to the air so you don't want any light thin drums.

The other important item is adjustment: if they are adjusted too loose, and especially if the brake springs are reversed they will grab horribly. The lighter weight (red) spring must be to the front shoe, and the yellow to the rear. Then, when installing new shoes it pays a big dividend to do a major and minor adjustment.

Somewhere I posted a simplified procedure for major adjustment that works quite well and quickly--perhaps some intrepid soul can find it.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 6:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved