Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 Deluxe Heater & Windshield Wiper Motor in Need of Service
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
I am in the midst of rewiring the entire car with wire from Rhode Island Wiring. Great quality stuff and fits perfect.

In the process, I want to address the windshield wiper and heater blower, neither of which were working when I got the car.

I have removed both units and the wiper assembly is frozen in place...can not turn or move any part of it although the unit is in visually good condition, free of rust, corrosion or any visible damage.

The heater box is in great condition and the fan spins freely by hand but doesn't come on with the switch.

Is there someone I can send these units to who can repair them? What is the best way for me to get them working again now that I have the whole car apart?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/7/14 1:45
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Deluxe Heater & Windshield Wiper Motor in Need of Service
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No info on who might work on them other than J Pinto Electric. When another poster checked about them doing his AC motor it appears they are rather expensive.http://jpintoweb.com/Home_Page.php Not sure if his price was for a simple repair or a total cosmetic rebuild.

In the AC thread discussing that motor tolandis mentioned a possible place:

Have not used them in years, but they have done many a small motor for me. All Safe Electric, in Canoga Park, Calfiornia.818-340-0974.

There are probably other places mentioned in Hemmings.

If your heater is the 4 wire reversible motor combination heater/defroster you may need to inquire if he has a test switch or if he needs your switch. The issue could be in the switch as well as the motor. On most electric only places, I think they may only want the motor and not the complete heater assy -- same for the wiper so something else to inquire about.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Deluxe Heater & Windshield Wiper Motor in Need of Service
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Ragtime,
I'd suggest pulling the wiper and fan motors out, then assessing them. You may be able to repair yourself, or find a local place that can do simple electrical wire repair.

I installed the 40 electric wipers in my 39 and had to repair the motor winding leads and essentially the entire harness of the wiper. The winding leads were a bit more complex because it required opening the motor; hopefully you don't have to do that.

The usual issue with motors of these types (just as today) is the oil reservoir in the bearings runs dry, then dust and other contaminants bind the shaft. This can usually be resolved with a bit of light oil. Beyond that, clean electrical connections and switch contacts are the key. The fatal blow would be if the motor windings have been damaged; that usually requires a replacement motor.

Good luck on the project.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/7/14 11:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved