Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Found this 54 Pacific last evening
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Out for a drive last night, and spotted this 54 Pacific. It is a local Billings car. It's in front of a house that had burned, and is now being rebuilt. The car looks like it's been on the trailer for a while, as all four tires are flat, and at least one tire is split. The car is straight, with the usual rust out in the rear fenders. The interior is original, but badly deteriorated - useful for a pattern. It has a radio, and automatic. I think that this is the one with the 359 engine. The plastic is badly sun faded, as is the paint. It is basically unmolested (by humans, but not Mother Nature!) except for what looks like dual Pontiac mirrors on the fenders.

I'll watch it and see if I can find who owns it and what their intentions are.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.97 KB)
1679_53e0faec32608.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (136.84 KB)
1679_53e0fb0130e48.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.38 KB)
1679_53e0fb0e1fb07.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (122.26 KB)
1679_53e0fb21bb2c7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (124.32 KB)
1679_53e0fb3100cf4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/8/5 10:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Found this 54 Pacific last evening
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've always considered the 54s to be the best of the 51-54 run and the senior models especially very fine cars and in demand. But despite that, it's so easy to get upside down on a closed car restoration. Yet - I'd love to see it saved. If you go again, can you get me the VN, theft-proof, and motor# if possible?

Posted on: 2014/8/5 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
David, if you do not want it (and if it is for sale?) pls let me know

Posted on: 2014/8/5 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
It wasn't in front of the house this morning. I'm trying to contact the folks who are remodeling the house to find out more about the car.

Posted on: 2014/8/6 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Finally tracked down the owner. The car was close to a forest fire in Roundup MT several years ago, which melted the plastic lenses on the outside of the car. It belongs to his father in law, and the owner says that he is going to restore the car, with no intentions of converting it to a hot rod. Having said that, he is looking for the plastic lens for the taillights and side markers. Anyone have a line on a parts car for it? I understand that this model is fairly rare, but things like the rear taillights should interchange from other senior models.

He did promise me that if the renovation got too much for him, that he would call me. If that happens, I'll post it. I'm Packard poor at this time!

Posted on: 2014/8/11 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
cool and thanks! the Packard Club sells these lenses on their website I think and they are listed in the CNB also I recall

Posted on: 2014/8/12 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,
How long was RimRock motors a Packard dealer?

Posted on: 2014/8/13 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
RimRock wasn't that the town in the Blazing Saddles movie? :^)
Wes

Posted on: 2014/8/13 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
that was "Rock Ridge" in Blazing saddles, my dad was born in Billings and I remember seeing the Rimrock area well, even the airport is on the Rimrocks

Posted on: 2014/8/16 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
As best I can find out, O'Roake Motors (the old Packard distributor and dealer) went out of business in the early 50's, and Rimrock Motors picked up the Packard dealership around 55 or so. They weren't in business too long, only a few years as best I can determine. There are several Rimrock car dealerships today, i.e. Cadillac, Subaru, etc. I don't know if there is any relationship. The name Rimrock is applied to lots of businesses in town, sort of like "Big D whatever company" in Dallas.

Posted on: 2014/8/17 10:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved