Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 Packard Steering Gear Questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
My '52 Mayfair was retrofitted to have power steering but the steering box itself is still 5 turns lock-to-lock. I would like to find a 3.5 turns lock-to-lock to replace it. Any suggestions?

Also, I have an extra steering column (also 5 turns lock-to-lock). The box is about one inch longer and the shaft about an inch shorter than my Mayfair. Is this from a Patrician?

Posted on: 2014/8/7 12:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 Packard Steering Gear Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might PM Ross or Packardssouthwest on the steering box. Unless someone took care to identify them upon removal, you will probably have to provide some good dimensions to get the proper item. On the one with the shorter shaft, is it complete with the shrouding so definitely a 51-4 or just a shaft. There are different columns for Manual, Ultra, PS and for Ultra with PS but no mention of what the differences might be as to length of shaft. If no shroud and being shorter, I wonder if it might be from a 55.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 12:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If I remember correctly the steering shaft and shroud assy are shorter on cars with PS. I have a box and shroud from a 53 Mayfair with PS and Ultra I'd be happy to sell you but you're are going to a lot of labor and trouble for what you will find to be a very small difference in the perceived steering speed unless you are doing slalom. Cheez, on my own cars I take the power steering off.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 14:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
Thanks for the information. That helps!

Posted on: 2014/8/11 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I learned to drive on a 52 Mayfair that didn't have PS. You could steer it with one finger as long as it was moving. By moving I mean at idle in "H". Great steering automobile.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 16:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved