Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Mike Chirco, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Backup Light plunger switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I have been away from this forum for awhile. I had my 46 Packard in with a mechanic who completely rebuilt the fuel system and the cooling system for me.

I am now tinkering with a few issues. The plunger switch that turns the backup light on will go on but then the plunger doesn't drop to turn the light off when I go out of reverse. I have manually pushed it back and forth a few times, I think it might be rusted. Before trying to replace the switch I thought I would check to see if anyone has repaired one of these.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 18:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946 Backup Light plunger switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming you have the rectangular Packard switch -- either the original 2 terminal or later 4 terminal, they can be repaired. The fiber back is held on by some bent over tabs. GENTLY, while holding the back so the internal spring can't cause anything to fly out, straighten those tabs enough so the back can lift off. Take note of how the terminal contact piece is mounted on the plunger isolator so you can reassemble correctly. You can then disassemble to clean and lube the switch as needed. Try not to bend the tabs any more than absolutely needed. They will break off if stressed too much or bent too often.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I was thinking of installing one of these. Is it close enough???

Posted on: 2014/8/8 19:03
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks a bunch. I might not get to it right away, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/8 20:42
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't see the terminals on other switch but general shape looks good. The plunger looks a bit long. Not sure how the conventional body levers compare to the Clipper style so I would wonder if the button could be too wide -- enough to possibly straddle both levers. Perhaps the button can be cut off if it causes a problem.

Here are the Packard switches as used on Clipper style levers. The original 2 terminal courtesy of a photo taken by packard1949 and the later 4 terminal retrofit switch containing the R9 safety switch. Both are shown mounted -- although the 4 term is shown 180 out. Normally its terminals would be down for better clearance to the bracket.

The bare switch photo is from Max's site and shows a good view of the plunger.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.53 KB)
209_53e583a678cae.jpg 370X464 px

jpg  (17.15 KB)
209_53e584199b390.jpg 469X241 px

jpg  (35.79 KB)
209_53e5938ac672d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/8/8 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved