Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Turn signal repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
The turn signal switch/control on my '51 is completely worn out. The lever is slopped-out, and won't click into any position, nor do I have any response with the lights.

Does anyone make a replacement for the internal components/switch? Is this a Delco part that is found on other makes? Buy-pass it with a universal kit?

Don't know how to attack this one. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 0:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn signal repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Can almost guarantee you that your switch is still fine but that the little operating bracket that the lever screws into has come loose.

Pull off the steering wheel. Unscrew your turn signal lever. Remove the screws holding the switch to the shroud and pull the switch out a couple of inches. You may have to unplug the switch from the harness down at the edge of the dash and push the wires up a bit. You'll see that the lever screws into a squareish piece that is retained to the switch shaft with a nut and a locking tab. Bend the tab out of the way, tighten the nut, bend the locking tab back. Done.

For a more certain job, use a little Loctite on the nut and on the bracket to shaft joint.

In the unlikely event your switch is bad--they are quite robust--I have several.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 4:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I followed Ross's process on my turn signal switch and now it works perfectly. Here is a pic of the offending nut.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.75 KB)
508_53f9f1990b646.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/8/24 9:08
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Is it safe to assume the part/process is the same for the 22nd/23rd Series? The Parts Manual shows the same numbers for the lever/switch. I need to take the 'slop' out of the lever action on the '50.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2014/8/24 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks all. I'll give this a try.

Posted on: 2014/8/24 22:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved