Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front disc brakes 1948 22nd Series - - - -
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
I have been to the Wilwood website (www.wilwood.com) regarding their Dynalite Classic Series front disc brake conversion kits for post-war Packards and I'm impressed.

Sure I know most of the guys reading this are going to say "What's wrong with the standard drum set-up ?" well I'm in the U.K and our roads are pretty scary when you're in a BIG & OLD car - motorways (Turnpikes ?) are most hours in a day packed with huge lorries (many from the Continent with the steering on the left) whilst the smaller two way traffic roads are really no less scary when in a big American car - my standard drums are okay but not fantastic and I feel if we want to USE the car for anything other than very short trips to Shows we need to upgrade.

So the disc conversion appeals to me however I am having trouble with Wilwood as having Emailed them the Email has bounced back - I'm using support@wilwood.com can anyone help and get me the correct Email please? as I need further inf. such as costs etc.

Also if anyone out there has installed a kit to their Packard please let me have your views on suitability, ease of installation, any problems etc.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/6 2:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Front disc brakes 1948 22nd Series - - - -
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
At the bottom right of the page where it shows "email us" results in this address "customerreply@wilwood.com"
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 4:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
meaarch Quote:
Also if anyone out there has installed a kit to their Packard please let me have your views on suitability, ease of installation, any problems etc.

I've had front disc brakes on my 1955 Patrician since early 2001 -- 13-1/2 years now.

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/discbrakes.html

The disc brakes have been completely trouble free and I would not go back to drum brakes for anything. I also replaced the Bendix Treadle-Vac, but your '48 doesn't have that. A power brake system is probably a good idea since disc brakes are not self-energizing like the drum brakes.

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

I believe some other forum members have also done their own disc brake conversion or more recently have used the Kanter or Wilwood kits. Hopefully, they will post about their experience.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/9/6 7:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Randy - I must have just gone straight to the bottom instead of using my brain !!

Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/6 8:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Craig

I'll bear in mind what you have said about a Servo.

Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/6 8:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi - I have now tried both email addresses for Wilwood - they are support@wilwood.com and customerreply@wilwood.com both to no avail.

Perhaps they do not do business outside the USA ? anyone any more thoughts on why they will not reply to me ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/9/15 3:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm fairly certain that switching to disc brakes by itself is not going to solve any braking problems. Certainly drum brakes are more than adequate to lock up the wheels. Disc brakes WILL NOT stop your car any faster than drums unless you also install radial tires.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 6:50
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The major advantage of disc brakes is their relative resistance to "fade" which can occur with drum brakes upon repetitive stops or slowing from high speeds without a cool-down. Other than that circumstance, as West says, you can't stop any faster once the wheels lock.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 8:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Wilwood doesn't answer emails, might be easier to call them and find out if they sell overseas direct or if there is a dealer in the UK or Europe.

No idea how the kits compare but if Wilwood is not possible, Kanter lists a kit for 48. I don't remember the year or if there were any issues but at least one poster here has used a Kanter kit.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
actually, your stopping distance increases when the wheels lock. That's the whole point of anti-lock brakes.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 9:36
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved