Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 108

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Packard 6 Transmission Locked
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
After removing the shifter from a 38 transmission ( in neutral) and carefully, at least I thought re-installing it, it now will not rotate in neutral. I had previously removed it to repaint and re-installed and the trans rotated in neutral just fine. I had to remove it a 2nd time because the new paint somehow was scuffed. After I repainting again, I re-installed for the 2nd time it will not rotate. Any suggestions as I am not very familiar with transmissions.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 16:04
 Top  Print 

Re: 1938 Packard 6 Transmission Locked
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Must be the color of the new paint. Seriously though, and I am sure you have checked this - make sure both the transmission and the shift top are in neutral before installing the top on the trans. Other than this, can't think of why it worked before, but not now.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/14 16:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I agree with JW - more than likely you simply have an alignment problem, not a "transmission" problem. Take it off again and make sure the forks are proper in both grooves.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your replies, me being ignorant about transmissions is it ok to touch the gears or could I cause a larger problem. I know it sounds ridiculous but I have never had a need to work on transmissions other than basic service.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 17:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
First, you are not going to damage anything. What has probably happened is one of the gears has slid from the position when you removed the top of the transmission/shift tower. I'd guess you did not move the shifter position being that you are being exceptionally careful due to believing there is thin ice under your feet. When you remove the shift tower this time, carefully line up the shifter forks with the slots in the gears, may need to slide them fore and aft a little bit - no, you won't hurt anything - to line up the forks properly.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 0:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi Flackmaster,
I like your reply about thin ice, I thought I was being very careful but I guess human error came into play. Thank you for your advice. I will try to do as you suggested this afternoon.

Posted on: 2014/9/15 8:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I did exactly what you said and the after moving the gears just slightly the shifter dropped in and now I have neutral and the transmission is unlocked. Many Thanks

Posted on: 2014/9/15 20:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved