Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

horns and head bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
OK,I am trying to install the horns and their bracket on my 2103, freshly rebuilt 356. The horn bracket mounts on the head studs (nos. 11 and 36 on the tightening sequence chart). Problem is with no. 11. With the thickness of the bracket, the stud did not protrude far enough for the nut to thread completely. I removed the stud and found that one end is threaded for about 7/8", and the other end 5/8". If I reverse the stud, it bottoms out sooner, and I gain enough length for the head nut to thread properly. Is it OK to do this?

Follow up question - no. 11 stud is in the inner part of the head and enters the water jacket. I think the bracket goes first, followed by the washer then the head nut. How should I ensure no leaks here?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2014/9/22 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: horns and head bolts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One problem in reversing studs might be if your engine has the rolled thread type stud as detailed in this article. The threads are just different enough to cause issues if the wrong end is installed in the block. If the stud goes in easily from both ends then it is probably the cut thread and I don't see an issue reversing it. I would use some sealant around the threads -- something like Permatex high temp sealant should work well.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.16 KB)
209_5420ddbbd39db.jpg 253X662 px

Posted on: 2014/9/22 21:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: horns and head bolts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For sealing threads that go into water jackets I've been using good old Indian Head Gasket Shellac for a long time, never a leak.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 22:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved