Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

humanpotatohybrid, Carl Roser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Temp Gauge issue
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Guys, need your help. Problem calls for smarter guys than me.

'48 Super with 327 engine. Rebuilt less than 5k miles ago. Has had a problem recently with the factory temperature gauge slowly going to peg on the "H". Have installed an auxillary gauge which shows the temperature to actually be between 180 and 190. Assume, therefore, it is a gauge issue, which is what we thought all along.

Have changed out the gauge with one removed from a salvage dash, same problem. Have changed sending unit, same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what else might cause this? Is this gauge grounding sensitive such that corrosion somewhere around the dash could cause elevated readings?

Maybe two bad gauges, don't know. Anyone out there you trust to rebuild one of these and calibrate it correctly?

I know that these gauges are not real accurate, but it doesn't do any good to have a gauge that goes to "H" pegged every time. When I do have a problem I won't know until too late.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/9/24 15:09
 Top  Print 

Re: '48 Temp Gauge issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does it peg right away or approx how long does it take to read high. If right away I would look for a grounded wire between the sender and gauge. If it takes a while am wondering about the senders and if you have the proper type. The 48-50 cars used a different type sender than the 51-6 so was the swap the exact same looking unit and verified off a 48-50?

Posted on: 2014/9/24 15:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...

I have struggled with the temperature gauge in our 1949 - 288 and replaced the sending unit twice. Not much change.

I finally purchased a mechanical one from the parts store for $30 or so and installed the sending unit in the back left corner of the head in the hole provided by Packard. I ran the gauge under the dash and mounted it right in front of the emergency brake handle.

Even if you get the darn original gauge to work, you still don't know the temperature. This is one place where a modern gauge is much more inexpensive and really necessary.

Ernie

Posted on: 2014/9/24 16:59
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Howard:

The swap was of the gauge only, the sender was a Kanter new. Maybe they shipped the wrong one? Can I tell one from another? It takes a while for it to come up to "H", not immediate. Thanks for help.

Walt

Posted on: 2014/9/24 17:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved