Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"Golden Anniversary" Model
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Is it possible to have a "1950" Golden Anniversary model? Were they all 1949's ? What features did the "Golden Anniversary" cars have that the others did not have?
Thanks,
Mike Burkhart
Dodge City, KS

Posted on: 2014/10/5 16:30
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print 

Re: "Golden Anniversary" Model
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Mike,

No, I don't think a 1950 can be called a Golden Anniversary model. Packard started in 1899 so 1949 would be the anniversary, even though comparable 1950 models only differ in vehicle number. To some the "true" anniversary cars are the drive-away cars painted in the special (code R as I recall) gold paint.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 17:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Robert Neal has a 3 or 4 pages on the 49 Golden Anniversary models in his 22-23 series book. O_D pretty much nailed it with the special paint being the difference. That paint and a fancy key and some giveaway dealer trinkets and doodads was about it. Seems it was mostly a PR stunt where a flock of dealers or their reps came to Detroit, had a party, listened to speeches, then took part in the special car drive away for the cameras.

If you are a devotee of those years or have one of the 22-23 series cars, that book is a wealth of information and well worth adding to a collection.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 18:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Dad's dark blue 23rd series came with the special keys that had the Packard crest on them, I was told they were the anniversary keys, by the VN it would have been a 49 model as it did not have the "5" in the number, on the other hand I was always told it was a 50 model and best I remember when it was my car in high school it was registered as a 50 model by the state. Does the 50 model in question have the "5" in the VN number or like dad's was it a 49 registered as a 50?

Posted on: 2014/10/5 19:07
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
My 1950 Deluxe 8 touring sedan was sold new to the original owner as a "Golden Anniversary" model. It has the gold Packard Crest keys, oval brake and clutch pads, and "Golden Anniversary Packard" original owners manual that came with this car. The car is all original and I am the second owner. It was delivered new on Dec. 3, 1949. It was finished from the factory in Coronet Blue ('49 color) and still is all original in great condition. The SN#2362-5-19482 and Engine# H259110.

I am familiar with the "Dealer Drive-Away" of the Golden Anniversary Packards. I have seen the pictures and read the information on that. I don't believe those were the only cars to be considered "Golden Anniversary" Packards.

I appreciate all the input, and would like more, so we can really figure this out.

Thanks to everyone!
Mike

Posted on: 2014/10/6 7:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The oval pedal pads were a feature of the 23rd series, whether titled as 1949 or 1950 models. And I also believe the Golden Anniversary owners manual printed for the 1949 models was carried over unchanged for 1950. The crest key was an accessory available from any Packard dealer. So these alone don't establish that Packard intended a 1950 Packard to be considered a "Golden Anniversary" car.

The question really boils down to what did Packard consider as their Golden Anniversary, the 1949 models, or all of the 23rd series cars which also embraced the unchanged 1950 models. On page 79 of Robert Neal's well-researched book he says the 23rd series was launched as the Golden Anniversary models; one could possibly construe this to include the 1950/23rd series models but personally I think that's a doubtful interpretation of his statement. Yet elsewhere on the same page he says the honor of being the Golden Anniversary car was placed on the 1949 23rd series cars rather than the 1949 22nd series. So it seems either interpretation has some basis, chose the one you like, but consider that 1950 models, essentially unchanged except for the vehicle number, represented their 51st anniversary, not their 50th.

I'll send Mr. Neal an email and ask for his take on the question.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 8:14
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Thank you all for the great information. This morning, at the advice of my good friend back east, I ordered Robert Neal's book on the 1948-50 Packards. Several years ago I owned a 1949 Super 8, and now , this 1950 Deluxe 8. These cars grow on you. I also currently own a '41 Convertible Sedan, '41 Henney-Packard Funeral Coach, and a '30 733 Rumble Seat Coupe. I have been playing with Packards since I was 15 (50 years ago), and always enjoy getting more information. What fun cars!

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mike, I just know that once you open Mr. Neal's book you'll have a hard time putting it down. You may also find some of his earlier Packard books worthwhile, if you click on "Packard Bookshelf" in the main menu you'll find short reviews on most or perhaps all of them.

In years past I've owned both a 22nd and 23rd series, both Custom 8 sedans and those models have a special place in my memory of Packards. Like you I've had Packards a long time, the first when I was 17 and one of my current two I've had for 51 years now. They do get into your blood!

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
According to Turnquist the Golden Anniversary commenced with the 23rd series introduced mid-way 1949. The original venture was founded mid 1899. Part of that marketing plan was Ultramatic.

Should Turnquist be questioned, his interpretation is consistent with Hamlin and Heinmuller.

This is consistent as well with the sales brochures which declare the new series as "Golden Anniversary" Packards.

So I would say that, according to Packard, any 23rd series car is a Golden Anniversary Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.83 KB)
373_5432f80a5060b.jpg 736X1024 px

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For those with a continuing interest in this, here's the response I received from Robert Neal and posted here with his permission:

I can certainly see the dilemma one finds themselves in in this case. Packard did not seem overly concerned on making sure they confused no one on this matter but I feel sure they did not consider the 1950 cars as "Golden Anniversary" cars, they just made no attempt to prevent it if it meant spending money. Any 23rd Series dealer brochure they had printed up which included Golden Anniversary and was not exhausted after 1950 introduction was continued in use. Any new brochure which stated "1950 Model" did not include a Golden Anniversary mention. The Owner's manuals were not changed, other than to remove the year 1949, and continued to have Golden Anniversary on the front cover. A fast look seems to indicate that any advertising after 1950 introduction did not include any mention of Golden Anniversary. The ad posted by Tim is a pre-1950 model ad.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 12:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved