Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard - Bentley/RR Similarity
Just popping in
Just popping in

markb57
See User information
A few years ago there was a thread about the similarity between the immediate post-war British luxury cars and the Packard. The discussion mainly centered around the styling. After some poking around the Bentley sites, I discovered that they are not at all bashful about saying the Packard 120 was the "inspiration" for the front suspension design. But a close look reveals suggests that the immediate post-war Bentley/RR chassis/suspension was almost a dead copy of the Packard 120. The Mk VI & R-type wheelbase was 120 inches, and the front suspension is virtually identical to the pre-war Packard IFS. Compare chassis shots of Mk VI or R-type Bentleys (and their RR twins) to Packard 120 chassis shot...you can barely tell the difference!

It occurred to me that there were plenty of Packard staff cars in England during WWII, and RR/Bentley had to have a more economical, yet more advanced car for the reality of the market in the post-war years.

Has this been investigated anywhere, or discussed on this forum? I am a newbie to Packard interest, but I haven't found much of a discussion so far.

Thanks!
markb

Posted on: 2014/10/9 10:18
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard - Bentley/RR Similarity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
You've brought up a topic that has interested me ever since I noticed the family resemblance, Mark.

I find the similarities between '42-48 Clippers and RR/Bentley Ghosts (I forget what the Bentley equivalent of the Silver Ghost is called...) of the 50's and 60's to be more than just a coincidence.

I've never compared specs or seen both vehicles parked side by side, but that would show the similarities even more, I'm thinking.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 12:54
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
The best time for a discussion like that is right after you overhauled the slipper clutch, rebuilt the brake servo, and cleaned the crankshaft oil passages in the RR&B car.
Some people mistook a Ford Granada for a Mercedes, too.

Maybe Briggs and Pressed Steel Company had a relationship.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/10/10 9:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
RR policy was not to invent or pioneer anything, but to copy the best features of other cars.

They did not make any secret of this. I don't doubt they got all the available information on the Packard suspension as soon as it came out, with plans to copy the best available suspension after they had tested all others, and after it had proven itself in service for a few years.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 20:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
What a coincidence!

Was just looking through some Packard documents and came across a March 1985 issue of "Car Collector" magazine and on page 40 there is an article titled "Packard's Purloined Parallelograms" or "The Strange Case of the Stolen Safe-T-Flex."

The author is Maurice Hendry and he writes:

"Anyone who studies the two suspensions is struck by the obvious similarities, and Rolls and Bentley engineers referred to it as 'our Packard suspension' (from F.J. Hardy senior development engineer), and, 'the Mark V and VI suspension based on Packard'(from Donald Bastow, R-R suspension designer.)"

Sounds as if he got it from two, direct sources.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 19:39
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
I just grabbed a copy on Ebay for six bucks. The similarities are sure there in a lot of areas. And I do like the styling touches shared with the Silver Cloud and S series Bentley.
These references are nice if any more show up.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/10/15 12:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved