Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

29tons, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Big head problem!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I was getting ready to repaint the engine in my new 33 super eight project, when i cleaned the paint and rust off the head I found the head had been repaired. It didn't look good so I magnafluxed the head and found a road map of cracks. does anyone on the web sight have any suggestions on a supply of super eight heads. I think there is just to much damage to repair this one. I know that an aluminum head has been reproduced, $2,000 is a lot to pay unless there are no other options. Thanks Dell Having problem loading picture

Attach file:

jpg  (17.54 KB)
1697_5441d20cd717c.jpg 461X346 px

Posted on: 2014/10/17 21:37

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Big head problem!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
You can try Gerry at Packard southwest in San Diego, he is in the directory. He has a pretty good assortment.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 21:43
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have a recently repaired aluminum 35-36 Super 8 head. Difference being the water outlet is not integrally cast. The head really only had one area of concerrn prior to repair (between cylinder areas - I have before and after pictures), and the shop did several other minor repairs for good measure at some of the water passageways. I won't be able to post pictures until Monday (I am out of town), but in the meantime you can consider my price of $833.36 for this head.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 7:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"my price.....$833.36"

Love it!

Posted on: 2014/10/18 14:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I though he could have said "$835.36"...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/18 16:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Dell:

That is not an uncommon problem with Packards. However, if no water is leaking from the thing and the block side is free of cracks the only issue is whether it has been plained beyond the service limit and whether the clamping force is equal.

To determine if the clamping force is out of tolerance, torque the head to the block and check the roundness with a bore gauge. If all those cracks are creating weakness the cylinders should be distorting.

Posted on: 2014/10/18 18:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks Tim; this engine has not been run for years. I think at least 30. I got it to turn over with the crank for my 28 and want to check the compression before I take the head off. I have the receipt for the rebuild from 1978, insert bearing and 30 over pistons by an old timer that had done several early Packards. I don't want to take it apart any further then I have to. I will post what I find under the head. Dell

Posted on: 2014/10/18 22:04

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved