Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum problems with the 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have been having a problem with the 120, with lousy acceleration (especially when compared to the 51 200 with the bored out 327) and mild overheating. I've read that a faulty vacuum advance can cause that so I put the hand operated vacuum pump on the copper tube and checked to see if the vacuum advance would work. Sure enough, no movement and the vacuum bled off quickly. So I pulled the distributer today and put in on the bench to clean up and check out more closely. I took the vacuum advance off and cleaned it up - while checking it out, I noticed that the flared connection that fits into the carb had a crack in the flare. I pushed the connector back, cut off the end and reflared the tube. Upon reinstalling it, the engine now runs smoothly and accelerates well in the garage. I'll take it out for a test drive tomorrow and confirm the findings. Another simple, but goofy issue that was causing me fits.

ps - I took the 51 out for a 200 mile drive last Sunday, and it was cruising fat dumb and happy at 70 mph. Made a few sprints up to 85 just to see how it would do. Sure surprised a few Subarus....

Posted on: 2014/10/17 20:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Vacuum problems with the 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good catch. It is surprising how much a leaking vacuum advance can affect the performance of an engine.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/18 10:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Or any vacuum leak for that matter. I believe that a vacuum gauge is a very underappreciated diagnostic tool.

Good find on the cracked flare! Not something I suspect we often look at closely.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 10:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree on the vacuum gauge. That's why I have one mounted under the hood. I'm surprised by the number of car people at shows who ask me what the gauge is for??

Attach file:

jpg  (106.26 KB)
23_5443e1931044e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/10/19 11:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved