Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
26 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 25

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Brake drum stuck to axle
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
All,

What is the best way to remove a rear brake drum that is stuck to the axle? I made a puller that fastens to the lug nuts and pushes on the end of the axle (similar to what is shown in a service manual), but even though it pushed VERY hard, there was no movement.

Should I apply heat?

The car is a '49 super 8.

John from KC

Posted on: 2014/10/20 11:53
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake drum stuck to axle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the drum has not been removed for years you may be in for a long haul. Some have resorted to heat but without that much success. It really depends on the axle and how tight and how long the drum has been installed.

Not sure how big your puller might be but small ones don't do much. The usual procedure is to loosen the nut a few turns but keep it on the axle. Install the heavy duty puller and hit it with a heavy hammer. Give it several blows on the tightening arm and if it doesn't pop off walk away. Come back every now and then and give the thing another blow or two with the hammer and walk away again. It can take hours or days but eventually it gives way with a loud bang -- hence the reason for the nut staying on. Without the nut the drum can fly a considerable distance when it breaks free.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
This is one of those topics that gets beat to death ( I'm trying a little humor here, because it's not easy.). See the following link:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9552&forum=2&post_id=101789#forumpost101789
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
John, if you're in the neighborhood (Riverside), you can borrow my dog-bone puller. You really need a heavy duty puller and hammer.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.27 KB)
188_54454b2f1a03f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
When JD said hammer, He means the BIGGEST HAMMER you can get. My first hub, when it finally popped off (I did leave the nut on.) it sounded like a gun was fired and this is after I had beat on it for a long time and had just walk away from it.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Packard Illiterati
See User information
I've used a pneumatic hammer with a 1" round head to remove drums from spindles. I would think, in this case, that combined with the specified puller and an occasional squirt of penetrating oil would help in removing the drum a little quicker. I apply the penetrating oil first, use the air hammer to help set a vibration into the stuck parts. Everyone has a favorite penetrant, and I nearly always use PB Blaster. Stinks to me, but hasn't failed yet.

Knowing what a bear it will likely be to remove the drums on my decrepit ride, I think I'll have to buy that puller sooner than later.

Good luck with the drum.

Warm regards!

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:49
 Top  Print   

More than one way "to skin a cat"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This works pretty quickly because of increased leverage. It uses the same 3-prong puller, but banging on a dogbone with a BFH is pretty much a waste of time and effort, IMO. Remember Archimedes:

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth."

Resized Image

Of course, this is an engineer's, not a mechanic's, solution.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/10/20 14:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's an ad from a 1947 Automotive Digest.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (96.12 KB)
1003_5445685e5c327.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 14:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
JD

It is very kind of you to offer. I will accept asap!

The puller I made was a 5" bolt circle out of 1/4" plate. I welded a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe to extend over the hub. I then made a 1/4" thick end to which I welded a 3/4" nut. I used a grade 8 bolt with an old universal joint spider cup for a bearing surface to push with. I greased the bolt.

I gave it all I could, but got no movement.

The 1/4" plates were bowing pretty badly.

See picture (if it works).

John from KC

Attach file:

jpg  (44.23 KB)
8203_5445809347318.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:37
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
JD

It is very kind of you to offer. I will accept asap!

The puller I made was a 5" bolt circle out of 1/4" plate. I welded a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe to extend over the hub. I then made a 1/4" thick end to which I welded a 3/4" nut. I used a grade 8 bolt with an old universal joint spider cup for a bearing surface to push with. I greased the bolt.

I gave it all I could, but got no movement.

The 1/4" plates were bowing pretty badly.

See picture (if it works).

John from KC

Attach file:

jpg  (44.23 KB)
8203_544581be5eb49.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:44
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved