Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 64

Joe, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 35 »

Re: packards in tv and movies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
"Murder in the Heartland", with 55 Pat standing in for 56 Pat. This was shown at the May 2006 PV8C meet. It is a Lifetime specific movie and is shown on occasion on that channel.

Craig

Craig, remember when we watched that scene out at your place when I was there? IIRC, there were two Packards in that movie, a '55 and there was a scene of the interior when he drove it through a ditch clearly showing a '56 pushbutton pod on the steering wheel. Must have been a stand-in "stunt car".

Posted on: 2008/10/24 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
3) knew I was nuts....

I don't think you'll get any arguments about that from anyone on here....

Posted on: 2008/10/24 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Packard Twelve fan wrote:
ISeriously, I must have done fifty movie jobs over the years, and was yet to find a movie crew anything but sympathetic and cooperative. Of course I never EVER (except for Griffth) let anyone drive my car.

Pete, Don't keep us all in suspense and tell us what movies your car was used in. I recall a lovely '38 Packard limo in the movie "Empire of the Sun" but I think it was a Super Eight and right hand drive so obviously not yours so.....what movies can we see your car in?

Posted on: 2008/10/24 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:

Craig, remember when we watched that scene out at your place when I was there? IIRC, there were two Packards in that movie, a '55 and there was a scene of the interior when he drove it through a ditch clearly showing a '56 pushbutton pod on the steering wheel. Must have been a stand-in "stunt car".

Eric: Yes, that was very sharped eye'd of you to spot that.

I still would not let a movie person drive my Pat unless they wanted to pay me three times what it was worth first, stunt double or not.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/10/25 1:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, I've been told by several people that my attention to detail is second to none!

Posted on: 2008/10/25 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Hi Clipper:

I stopped doing movie jobs in the late 80's. Too boring. And my employer at that time started to get "uppity" about me taking time off.

List of jobs was of course part of my tax reports, but I only keep records going back 7 years.

Best I can do to re-construct - would be..let's see. The Andy Griffth job was for a TV series called "SALVAGE" We did the "pilot" for that with my Twelve - series only lasted a season. Griffth played a junk yard dealer who was building a rocket to the moon - my car was supposedly his in that show. Had lots of final screen time in that one.

I saw a movie the other day that I was involved in; came in on the middle - involved two colored guys in what was supposed to be New York. Ah..just rememberd. HARLEM NIGHTS. That was mostly shot in the old industrial section of down-town Los Angeles. Only Packard that got really good screen time in the final cut was a late 30's "120" with a town-car body, owned by a now dead friend of mine.

Did a couple of major features in which Alec Baldwin was one of the stars - got the "front clip" of my Twelve in that for about three seconds, literally! Wish I could have had the 'out-takes' on that - shot some great scenes of me tearing up deserted highways north of Los Angeles - think I got two weeks work out of that one.

Ah..I remember, a Henry Fonda movie called THE MARETH LINE (not sure of the spelling ) - the plot involved some military officers who were friends, from all the combatants - movie takes them from the thirites, thru World War II, to post-war. Lots of great shots of my car & high speed driving in that - saw it on late night TV many years ago - as usual, my shots cut to hell - you only see flashes of my car in some background scenes, and you have to be quick to see em. Some of my scenes were shot on some side-streets in Beverly Hills. Damn - wish I had the out-takes on those high-speed cornering scenes. I remember that Henry Fonda was a damn good sport about being bounced around in the back seat on some of those goofy high speed curve scenes, and was VERY cooperative when I told him, on those scenes involving him getting out and closing my back door, not to slam it.

BOTTM LINE - Movie jobs are fun for a while, but it gets "old" when you have a "call" for 5 am and they dont get to you before, say 4:00 pm, then they start screaming the light is going bad, and you guessed it..another 5:00 or 6:00 am "call". Then you run around telling all your buddies to see this or that movie and the great scene you had in it..only to find all those expensive "location" shots were cut out.

HARMLEM NIGHTS - yeah, that's the one where they called Red Foxx back into the studio to shoot a one minute scene where he EXPLAINS how they had all these expensive cars to pick up "the girls" (prostitutes) from the jail after they arranged bail. That scene with Red Foxx EXPLAINING what happened, was how they got "continuity" without including that fantastic scene that was SHOT, that he DESCRIBES, but wound up on the cuttin-room floor.

Damn..really wanted to see that scene - the "prostitute" assigned to my car was a particularly pretty college girl, whose "part" was to walk from the "jail" (actually an old warehouse in down-town Los Angeles's old industrial district) to my car. WOW ! All she was wearing was a way-too-short (did I say SHORT) baby-doll mini-dress, that had practically no top. And BE ASSURED that was ALL she was wearing, and all she had on underneath that...was her high heeled shoes !

Not sure how many commercials for various products I did over the years; recall a beer commercial with a real cute girl who sat on my front fender (no, they didnt give me any beer).

Yeah, that Packard in the EMPIRE OF THE SUN wasnt mine. Have no clue what that was.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 13:36
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Packard Twelve fan wrote:

I saw a movie the other day that I was involved in; came in on the middle - involved two colored guys in what was supposed to be New York. Ah..just rememberd. HARLEM NIGHTS. .

Pete , Boy you are one 50's kinda guy...... "colored guys" went out of style and political correctness about the time of the hula hoop.

It must have been an interesting time for you doing movie scenes. Thanks for the response to my question. Too bad you don't have any photos or clips to share.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
actualy, I do have a pan shot of the "bail out" scene that was shot and re-shot, then after all that expense, never used in HARLEM NIGHTS. Will try and find it and post it.

Have some shots I personally took while shooting SALVAGE. Will look for those, too.

Normally, private cameras are absolutely FORBIDDEN on movie shoots, so I dont have anything else.

I would hardly call the stuff I did with my V-12 a movie career - just fun stuff we old car buffs did; more often than not just to get together with other car guys. Drove the "transportation captains" nuts because we were more often than not more interested in gabbing about cars than to listen to them. Of course the money was pretty good; typically $200 - 500. a day for big classics.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 22:18
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have vague recollections of the SALVAGE TV program and even more vague recollections of the Packard Twelve. Was it a club sedan? Two-tone, perhaps maroon body and silver or black fenders?

Posted on: 2008/10/25 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Hi Guys, I know my '56 Patrician appears in one film and possibly another. The lovely old gent that I bought it from, Dick Benjamin from Temecula, CA, drove it in a film called "Calendar Girl" and in the filming of another called "Hollywoodland". I've got the video of Calendar Girl and the Patrician is definitely in it, along with some of Dick's other cars (eg, '64 Studey Hawk). I haven't seen the other movie so don't know whether the Patrician made it into the final print.

Cheers, John

Posted on: 2008/10/26 0:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 35 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved