Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1940 Custom Oil Canister and Low Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Ok, JD with the correct new canister will plumb as original first, all flow through canister, then if lifter noise persists will add the direct line from pump to galley as suggested before. Can try straight 30 wt. With no restrictions either way. In looking at the original filter, yes it had only one hole in center post. The second one I just got has two holes in the center post. Which would allow more oil to flow through the center filter post.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Date on side of block is 8-18-40, the number on the upper side of block is C506260F.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 0:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to the data I have, C507697 was the last motor number for that year and engine.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 8:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Do we know when the 41's started manufacture?

Posted on: 2014/8/25 8:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
September 16, 1940 is the date most often cited though that may be the date of market introduction and not the commencement of manufacture.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Back at this, needing some clarification on this. Put in new less restrictive filter, and Rotella oil. Still lifter noise, also ran the straight line from pump to galley. So either damage to lifters already done. So will probably will need to do another valve job, with either new lifters and, or properly adjusted valve stem clearance.
What I still cannot understand at this and other forums. If you have the direct line, and the filter canister, almost everyone is calling for a restriction in the filter line. Why is that needed? Is there too much oil or pressure getting to the galley? Would not the filter itself act as a restriction? Wouldn't you want as much oil as possible getting to the galley?
I must be getting (am)old but don't understand the theory of having two paths of oil to galley, then restricting one.

Posted on: 2014/10/26 13:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You don't need a restriction if you only have a direct line to the lifters. The restriction was placed in the line going to the filter in those situations where you have both a direct line and a filter that dumps into the crankcase. After the plumbing change was made to add the direct line and have the filter return to the crankcase, it was found too much oil was going to the filter and still not enough to the lifters. The restriction was to limit what could go to the filter. The pigtail line to the lifters was wide open.

There is one other situation I remember reading of that might be worth looking into. There was what Packard called a jiggle pin on some engines that could loosen and fall out resulting in low oil volume to lifters. Can't remember the details or years. The site is moving so slowly for me right now it will take some time to find the article to remember if 40 might be one of the years.

EDIT: Found the article and 40 is one of the years with the pin. Since I believe you said your problem started somewhat abruptly, might be worthwhile to download and check out the article on low oil pressure. It starts on the third page.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL20NO1.pdf

Posted on: 2014/10/26 14:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sounds possible. I can remember about something when I had the engine rebuilt years ago, the shop lost both of the jiggle plugs. I went to a friend that had one, I somehow got the correct size cup, drilled out a hole and put in a brad and flattened the point, to make do. I was told not too long ago that I should have just completely plugged the front and back of the galley.
Well if I go that far to remove fender and radiator, etc., might just as well to an engine rebuild.
I might be able to open one of the side plugs, and stick a wire toward the front to see if the jiggle plug is in place? Off to work, for now will contact you again later.
Thanks so much.

Posted on: 2014/10/26 15:05
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a look at this thread:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=95774#forumpost95774

Jim (39Super8), did a bunch of research on the 356 oiling filter/pump and the running changes that were in place between the first 356s and the last ones. (jiggle pins, pumps, different filter plumbing, etc)

The early 1940s filter were plumbed with the inlet on the bottom of the filter and the oil filtered from the inside of the filter out, and the canister had an internal check value that would pop open to bypass the element if it got clogged.

That changed that later and went to a bypass filter arrangement with the inlet on the side of the canister. Also, if you look at the later oil pumps, the move a lot more volume than the earlier pumps. That was the final "oiling" fix for these motors....more oil volume being pumped.

Posted on: 2014/10/26 17:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks BigKev. Up until several weeks ago, mine had the full flow through the canister, inlet at bottom. So my thinking is damage was done to the lifters and associated areas. Now have flow from a direct line, and oil filter.
Another question, when the engine was rebuilt many years ago, the original camshaft was ground wrong, was replaced by a good one. I still have the original camshaft. In case I do decide to do a rebuild of the engine, I will be slowly collecting spare replacement parts, can cam shafts be reground correctly? Am I better off getting a good cam shaft from a reputable company? Or sending the bad cam shaft of to a grinding company. Would they know what specs to grind to?
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 1:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved