Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2272-9 with a ammeter reading discharge, but charging the battery
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
I reciently pulled the generator, starter and other driver side parts in order to clean and paint those and the block. After I reassembled all parts I started the car and noticed the amp gauge was indicating a charge in the opposite (discharge) direction. I flashed the system as I've done many times before, but to no avail. I checked the generator and it was producing between 6.3 and 7.8 volts depending on idle or higher RPM and the battery does recharge. Not sure why the ammeter is reading discharge instead of charge. Everything works as normal other than the ammeter. The ammeter no longer indicates a drain when the lights or signals are turn on. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 2272-9 with a ammeter reading discharge, but charging the battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was the car ever hooked up with the battery grounded negative or was it accidentally reversed when you put it back together after the painting? Reversing the ammeter wires is one of the things that has to be done when a cars polarity is intentionally changed. If it had been changed and that had been done some time in the past it would read incorrectly now if it is currently hooked up properly. Same thing if it is now backwards. If you are confident the battery is recharging and no issues are seen anywhere then reversing the ammeter wires is the most likely option to make it read correctly again.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 2272-9 with a ammeter reading discharge, but charging the battery
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bryan Spicer
See User information
No hookup issues and its still set up as a positive ground. I've never seen this before and im totally befuddled. Has anyone seen a ammeter re polarize itself? Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved