Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I recently got a nice used speedometer for my 39 120. It spun nicely with your fingers, and when hooked up to an electric drill, spins smoothly and easily to 110 mph. However, when I hook it up to the cable in the car, it slowly moves up to a max of about 15 mph, while the car is doing 40+. I've greased the cable, cleaned up the head end and cut off about 1/8" from the transmission end, as I've seen cables "grow" creating pressure on the speedometer head. When I hooked up a spare 51 speedometer to the cable, it worked fine. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedometer woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
may be twisted or torqued in the dash? something rubbing on the cup? Seems if it was working off the drill before mounting something changed. Take it out and test again.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the square on the original cable end the same size as the new speedo receiver and are both pieces in good condition or might one part be worn and slipping.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've taken the cable on and off numerous times, with the same results each time. I think I'm going to try a new cable and see what that does.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other thing-- as Customclipper55 mentioned any chance of a bind. Sometimes the needle is very close to the glass if the glass to frame gasket is missing. Could that glass be pressed back against the needle when you tighten the screws to mount the speedo

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Uhhhh. How does the ODOMETER keep up????

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What were symptoms of the OLD speedo and/or why did u change speedo's???

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The old speedometer had much the same problems. On the old one the trip odometer would work, but the speedometer would barely move. I may try the glass gasket angle and see if that changes things. Course the new speedometer worked great when I hooked it up to the electric drill, but maybe it's because it was spinning so fast.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 22:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved