Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
The Texas heat has claimed my battery. Would anyone be kind enough to recommend at make/model number 6-volt battery for my 1954 Packard Clipper two-door club sedan, 327CI, L-8, 165HP engine? PS..does anyone use OPTIMA?
Best Regards.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 12:19
 Top  Print 

Re: New Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think this is one of those subjects where you will get a lot of recommendations. To start the ball rolling here is an old thread on the subject and a few recommendations. What you can get locally might be more important than a specific battery name or model. Like all batteries, I think it is still luck in getting a fresh one and maintenance after you take it home that has one last longer than another.

As to Optimas, there are some who have had very good luck with them and others not so much. I had a 12v in the 56 that I will admit was probably neglected and mistreated since the car mostly sat. It lasted about 5-6 years before it started acting up and finally quit. It did better than the "boutique" battery that was in before it though. Another Optima in a Ford Ranger that was used weekly seemed to have a very short life. I replaced both with regular lead acid since my experience wasn't worth the extra cost of the Optima.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 12:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...

I have used Optima Batteries for quite some time in classic cars. I had a six volt in my 1931 Model A Tudor which is driven at least once a week for 9 years and I live in Scottsdale, Arizona. I replaced it with another Optima.

I also have a 1949 Packard 2362 with a 288 engine. I modified the battery box and have had a six volt Optima in the car for a bit more than two years. It has 800 cranking amps and turns the engine over just fine.

I do have a second ground strap on both the Model A and the Packard and also 00 cables which I purchased from NAPA and then had the ends attached at a local welding shop.

The second ground strap makes quite a difference.

Ernie

Posted on: 2014/9/27 12:52
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you go with a conventional battery (my recommendation) the correct size is a Group 2.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks to all for your recommendations. I appreciate your time and consideration.
Best Regards!

Posted on: 2014/9/27 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Try Tractor Supply if there is one in your area-they usually have a good supply of 6v batteries including the long thin ones used in 46-50's

Posted on: 2014/9/28 16:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Installed the NAPA BAT 7204 today. Works like a champ!
Thanks for all your help.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 0:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
get a napa group 4 fork lift battery ,you have to change the tray making a touch longer ( 30 min) but no longer have hot start problems ,think its#7202

Posted on: 2014/11/11 9:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I have been using a Deka battery in my 48- Correct size and good results -

Posted on: 2014/11/11 12:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I'm curious how you modified your battery box. I have an optima in my 46 clipper also and was thinking about building a wood enclosure of some sort to enable me to used the original battery hold down.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 10:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved