Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starter Button on a 1949 - 2362 with a 288 Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...

'Miss Prudence' our 1949 - 2362 with a 288 engine does not have a starter switch on the carburetor. I can't see that she ever had one. Instead, she has a starter button, just to the left of the ignition switch. I like it! However, I have seen this button, or one like it on a few cars that I have seen on the internet. I wonder if this button was a Dealer Extra or a Packard Company Extra or a few owners with wild hairs? Does anyone know?

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2014/11/15 13:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter Button on a 1949 - 2362 with a 288 Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Certainly not a factory fitment or a dealer-approved accessory. More than likely some prior owner didn't like the carburetor starter switch which was standard equipment. Too bad - it's a neat little feature shared with Buick, perhaps others, and properly set up, very reliable. In the same era some cars had the starter switch under the clutch pedal (Chevrolet?) or on the gear shift handle (Nash).

Posted on: 2014/11/15 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
My 1948 2262 has a starter switch on the carburetor. But, it is disconnected and a push button switch added on the dash. I hope to reconnect the carb switch someday.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I like my carburetor switch, people look at you kind of funny when your seating there and the car starts up and your hands are free. I tell them their press to start button has nothing on a Packard. HA!

Plus it makes it easy to turn over the engine when your working by yourself.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/11/15 16:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Thanks, Guys...I appreciate the information. Ernie

Posted on: 2014/11/15 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How a bout a pic??? If it's a ONE wire sw. then probably a Ford button. Can't remeber what years Ford ran the button but for many years. Probably model A or something like 28 thru 38 ford's. Fairly common. If it's a 2wo wire button then i don't knows. Cushman ran a ONE wire kill bitton on the the engine shroud. Pretty sure it's model A ford. Cheque with some Ford people.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 18:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
My 1948 Packard and my 1960 Buick have carburetor mounted switches. Of course a few of the locals think I have a voice command starter.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/11/16 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If the push button starter switch uses wiring from the carburetor switch, then it is a 2-wire switch.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/16 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I know Ford's had dash starter switches at least thru the '54 model, maybe later. Of course, they're chic again now days. Like anything else, make it cheaper by combining functions with the key and call it "modern".

Posted on: 2014/11/16 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening all..

I know it is not from a Model 'A' ford because I have a 1931 Tudor and all Model 'A' Fords had/have Foot Starters. It's a little shaft that goes through the floor boards and right to the trigger on the top of the starter. I had a 1949 Ford and it had a chrome starter button with a smooth ring around it this one has little notches around the exterior ring. It might/must have been after market. It seems to me that it is two wire.

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2014/11/17 21:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved