Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

trans swap
Just popping in
Just popping in

napatodd
See User information
am converting my 1954 Pacific 359 to GM Turbo Hydramatic. Tranmission is mounted and I am looking for information on the balance of the install

Posted on: 2014/11/17 9:52
 Top  Print   

Re: trans swap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just my 2 cents worth, but I'm sorry to hear about the conversion. The Ultramatics, properly rebuilt (and all needed parts available) are so reliable and long-lived behind the in-line 8 engines. Seems a shame to make it less than a 100% Packard, especially in such an uncommon and potentially valuable model.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it was the conventional pre gear start Ultra, also sorry to hear you are getting rid of it. If it is a gear start, hopefully it was not destroyed as there will be a market for it since there were so few installed.

Not sure what kind of info you are looking for. AFAIK the shift linkage has to be custom made so would depend on your particular install. Drive shaft front U joints were converted to use the GM slip joint instead of the ball type that Packard used. Frame xmember and supports were also custom made. Don't believe anyone addressed the interior shift quadrant label changes needed so those have all been haphazard stick on label or not changed at all and was select gear by guess.

Are you doing all the fab work yourself? Since Mike's transmission stopped doing conversions the only remaining GM kit for an inline 8 I am aware of is the one made by Bendtsen. I believe that is a complete kit with supports and some of the other misc items needed but requires some other changes to the car in addition to the trans. No idea how many have actually used it.

The other GM installs and kits I am aware of have been on V8s so a bit of a different animal. Most anything additional needed there would not work on the earlier car. Except for the Bendtsen V8 kit which uses a stock GM trans, those other conversions were done by cutting the GM bellhousing and welding on the necessary plate to mate with the cast in Packard bellhousing. Doubt any of the supports or linkages would be anywhere close to the same as an inline 8.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 10:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day napatodd,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '54 Pacific Hardtop in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 14:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
The preservationists seem to not agree with your choice but but that aside, The shift mech is a dicey one.
this may be more suited to the modification sec. A floor shift may be employed and a cable and bracket and hrdwr are all avail. A kick down cable and modulator vac source plumbed-no big deal. A drive shaft custom length with gm slip yoke and ujt in frt and the corresponding packard rear u jt. I am more interested in the kit and the bellhsng and mating the converter to flexplate and spacing and fitment. Can you give more info?

Posted on: 2014/11/17 16:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved