Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission Linkage for 38 Transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Does anyone have the bracket that mounts on the stud of the transmission for sale. The hole on my existing bracket is too large, it was on a 37 transmission and I'm guessing that a 38 has a smaller shaft.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.60 KB)
58975_548d0ed7e74c8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/12/13 23:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Linkage for 38 Transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am confused. Is this on the side of the bellhousing or where/what is the camera focusing on ?

Posted on: 2014/12/14 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there any sign of a roller bearing being used or is there wear marks or signs of the lever directly riding on the pivot? Almost all of the later cars had a bearing over the pivot. The hole in the lever assy was beveled on the outer edges with just the center sized for the OD of the bearing.

Not exactly sure how the early cars had the pedals mounted. The engine side can rock and unless the entire pedal assy is bolted and able to move with the engine, if the frame side is fixed there needs to be a bit of give somewhere. On later cars that is provided by the bevels allowing the lever to twist slightly on the bearing.

If the pivot pin is roughly 5/8 dia then it most likely had a bearing. The lever on my car has a hole for a 13/16 OD bearing.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
This is on the side of the transmission on the drivers side of the car, the clutch linkage mounts on the shaft or bearing in the photo

Posted on: 2014/12/14 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
The shaft that you see in the photo actually moves in and out slightly and does rotate. I'm trying to find the bracket that mounts on this shaft.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Packard went to a "U" shaped clutch relay in 1938 as opposed to the previous simple lever arm.
The later type used a frame mounted pivot that would not be present on the 1937 chassis.
It might be possible to change out the pivot shaft on the bellhousing for the 1937 type and use the original clutch linkage. The pivots for both years are just pressed in and are not supposed to rotate.

For reference, here are some photos of a well worn 115C linkage

Attach file:

jpg  (100.68 KB)
1137_548e920b62ff8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (73.03 KB)
1137_548e9223720b4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/12/15 2:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi BDeB,
I REALLY appreciate you sending me photos and explaining this to me. Since I am not knowledgable about this, can a new shaft be pressed in without removing the transmission ? My Packard is always a learning experience. Again, Thanks

Posted on: 2014/12/15 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You should be able to pull the existing stub shaft out and push in a replacement without removing the bell housing.
I don't know what the dimensions of the 1938 shaft are, but the 1937 one has 2 diameters.
The end that goes in the bell housing is 5/8" diameter by 23/32" long and the outer end is 3/4" diameter by 1-13/32" long.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 23:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved