Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front End loose
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Munson
See User information
Can Steering Box be adjusted?
Checked all tie rods & ball joints tight - lot of play in steering wheel.

Ideas for good source for front end parts?

Cell# 8323872377
Home 2816892958
Tim in Texas

Posted on: 2014/12/30 21:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Front End loose
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Tim

While the South Bend-built 1957 and 1958 Packards are greatly welcomed here, to get the specific technical advice and parts sources for your 1957 Clipper restoration, please also sign onto the Studebaker Drivers Club Forums here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Your-Studebaker-Forum

There are many participants in the Tech Talk section much more familiar with your car. As you know, its part and parcel a Studebaker President/Golden Hawk body and chassis combination.

I've been an SDC member for thirty years and know you'll find the folks on the SDC Forums are thoroughly familiar with all problems and solutions, more so than here where most of the technical issues dealt with are for the Detroit-built models. They're a knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming group too.

Please keep us apprised of your progress on the restoration and enjoyment of your Clipper Town Sedan. Good Luck and please check-in often.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/31 9:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve gives the very best advice, go to the folks most familiar with your car's systems. And if you don't have one, get a shop manual for your vehicle.

That said, all steering gear boxes even from the very earliest of days have several provisions for adjustments depending of just where the play has developed; some by adding/subtracting shims, others by other means. I suggest you rock the steering wheel back and forth thru it's free play while the wheels are straight ahead and have a friend observes the action at the gear box. If the cross shaft moves up and down before the pitman arm begins to move, that is normally adjusted with a screw and locking device right on the top of the gear box at the end of the cross shaft. But follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully, adjust with the wheels in the straight-ahead position, and DO NOT adjust to remove ALL the free play or you risk damage to the unit.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 10:27
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Munson
See User information
Thanks for quick response, I did put the same question on the other forum.
Just wanted to cover the bases in case someone here might have said "oh yea, here is what you need to do".
Still nothing yet over there but it is the holidays!

Thanks!
Mondog

Posted on: 2014/12/31 21:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In addition to adjusting the steering gear, the next major culprit is likely the "center pin" where the steering arm pivots in the center of the front crossmember. You should hardly be able to shake it at all. This would never wear out if occasionally greased, but was often overlooked. It is easily removed for rebuilding and all the Stude vendors have kits for it.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 5:54
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the original center link bearings didn't use a seal to protect the bearings from the elements, but the aftermarket ones now do.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 13:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Check the mounting bolts of the steering box and center link, sometimes they work loose.

If you adjust the steering box follow the factory manual exactly. If you don`t do it right you can wear out your steering box in a month.

An alignment will sharpen up the steering and make it work easier.

Fifties cars had looser steering than new cars to begin with. You know those old movies with car scenes, where the actor is sawing the wheel back and forth like the tiller of the Queen Mary. That is not hammy over acting, they really did steer that way. 4 inches or so of play is nothing to worry about. You soon get used to it.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 18:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
On my 1957 Packard wagon , I had the same issue with the loose sloppy steering. While I had the engine out I replaced everything and adjusted the steering box.
Replaced center pin and bushings, tie rods, coil springs, king pins, the works.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 8:13
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved