Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Windlace trim ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have three pieces of trim that goes around each of the two doors on my 1954 Clipper. I can fit two of them easily,but cannot figure out where the third piece fits. I know it should be simple, but for some reason I cannot figure it out. I have placed it on the front post and on the center post, but it doesn't look like it fits either. The painted trim is already in place , so it may be hiding where it goes. If I cannot figure it out the installed , hopefully can.
These pieces are the trim that the windlace attaches to.
HELP.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 13:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Windlace trim ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Photos would help. Are they chrome pieces?? Can't quite picture any trim pieces you could be asking about that specifically pertain to windlace. Typically windlace fits on the bare metal body opening around the doors and goes on first. Some portions are placed into some small slots with sharp hooked prongs that bend over into the slots and hold the edge while other portions are tacked or stapled into a heavy cardboard or fiber tack strip. Headliner fits into some toothed retainers that go on after the windlace.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Howard:

The sides around the windows have the barb that face down that looks like the headliner would attach to when stretched. The three pieces for each window have barbs that face up which to me would be for the windlace. I have some photos that may explain.
The piece that looks like it goes down the pillar of the 2 door doesn't look like it fits to me when I place it next to the pillar.

Attach file:

jpg  (102.62 KB)
3889_54ea07ef781e8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.61 KB)
3889_54ea07fd44b1d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (87.19 KB)
3889_54ea0810ec353.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/2/22 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I confess to being of no help on those. They appear to be headliner retainers but the configuration is strange for where the headliner attaches. That short length on yours like it would go around a window is what is throwing me. Maybe BigKev can shed some light since he has recently been involved with his windlace and headliner install..

I took the liberty of borrowing a couple of his photos partially showing his winlace and retainers. The windlace attaches as I described. Under the sharp tabs from the front kickpanel up and then over the door. Staples or tacks down the center post. From what I remember the rear door has tacks or staples up the center then the tabs across the top and down to about the bottom of windows and then more tacks or staples around the wheelwell area to the floor.

The retainers go over the windlace and headliner pushes up between the windlace and retainer to catch the tabs. Kevs retainers look like mine in that they are mostly straight across the top with a gentle curve over the door sides. Has the short straight section above the upholstery panel on the pillar. Can't see his rear doors to the end but my headliner retainer follows the curve of the door and ends about even with the bottom of windows. None of mine have that sharp 90 degree bend.

Which model Clipper do you have? I don't recall that much difference between 2 and 4 door but maybe so.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.16 KB)
209_54ea2bfa94c5c.jpg 500X666 px

jpg  (129.01 KB)
209_54ea2c07c1d5a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (55.97 KB)
209_54ea2c1125341.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2015/2/22 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
As I recall the teeth that hang down held the windlace by being bent open and the lace placed in and positioned and the tabs bent back to pinch the fabric. The teeth facing up are for the headliner to be stretched around the moulding lip edge and pushed UP and hooked on the upward facing teeth. But mine is a 55 so may not be the same.
The 55 also had tack strips on the b pillar and near the rear seat for stapling the wind lace but pretty sure the orig windlace was held in the above fashion around the frt door tops and dash.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I assume you have sandblasted or otherwise wire wheeled etc the headliner retainers and hit with self etching primer and a white paint? These are some of the tedious jobs which need to be done for a long lasting repair with no bleeding n staining of the liner. This is all the work that adds to the labor(price) of the job that many diyers dont figure in but will prove for a high quality job if the elbow grease is put in.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Anyone come across crumbling rusted retainers with dull teeth which will not hold the liner?

Posted on: 2015/2/22 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I just had a look at a 1951 2 door parts car.
The piece that is shown in your upper photo is the retainer for the headliner that goes above and along the rear side of the door opening. There is fabric stitched to the headliner that extends down between the rear side of the door opening and the rear quarter window opening. The headliner and rear side of the extended fabric is held in place by being tucked behind the fuzzy channel around the window.
I couldn't see for sure but believe that the windlace is fastened to a tacking strip buried in a channel that surrounds the door opening and would be installed before the headliner.
I don't know where any additional retainer strips would be located.
Hope this helps some.

See this thread also:
Headliner retainers 51 Club Sedan

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
THANKS

I got it now. The pictures really helped from Kevin and Larry51. As always good input from the Packard experts

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm late to the party on this, but yes, those are headliner retainer, not windlace retainers. The "barbs" face inwards towards the body sheetmetal and are installed after the windlace is secured. The headliner is stretched down and the excess material shoved up between the sheetmetal and the retainers and the "barbs" grab on to it. This applies to the sides of the car only. Front and back it is tacked/glued in place.

Paint the retainers before reinstalling as it will keep any condensation from creating rust stains on your new headliner.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.66 KB)
1_54eb5ec566381.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (80.44 KB)
1_54eb5ecf37481.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (76.56 KB)
1_54eb5ed7c2c57.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (61.10 KB)
1_54eb5ee22e9e5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/2/23 12:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved