Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Patty vacuum advance
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Hello. Is there a simple way to test a VA when it is taken off the distributor. A buddy of mine brought over what I call a vacuum tester. You stick a rubber hose where the vacuum line goes and pump up by hand. Is the VA arm supposed to hold in place or when you stop pumping return back to where it started?? Also is there any kind of gasket that goes between the block and ditributor flange?? Thanks, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 17:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 54 Patty vacuum advance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you draw a vacuum on the unit and the arm moves and holds that position until the vacuum is released, that means the unit is functional. It doesn't mean that the calibration (movement as a function of vacuum applied) is correct for your engine. I believe the units all had a paper gasket, often discarded. The gasket plays no role in the function of the unit; however the ignition timing will be changed a small amount if it's discarded, or added back later.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 18:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved