Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best method for locking the crank
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
At the stage now where I need to pull off the damper on the 356.

I'm inclined to use a piston stop to 'lock the crank' in position. But wondering: is a screw-in stop (to the spark plug hole) sufficient enough to lock the crank while I unscrew the massive crank bolt, and then apply quite a bit of pressure via a puller to the damper?

I don't want to damage the piston with the stop if the force I have to exert is like what I've encountered in the past.

Would people let me know what they do?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:22
 Top  Print 

Re: Best method for locking the crank
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Use an impact wrench to take it off. Put the car in gear when you put it back on and torque to the recommended lb pressure.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:39
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But wondering: is a screw-in stop (to the spark plug hole) sufficient enough to lock the crank

Ouch, I'm cringing just at the thought, much less the act! Please DON'T. And anyway the spark plug is over the valves and not the piston. If you don't have an impact gun or enough room to use it (best method), first try putting the car in gear, applying the parking brake as firmly as you can, and chocking the rear wheels. That method was sufficient for me to get the damper on and off my 48 "356" engine some years back. Applysome force and hold it for a time, then relax it for a moment - then again a bit more, relax again, and so on. If it doesn't loosen after that treatment, use a jack or something to keep a constant pressure on the wrench handle overnight.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wow, you're absolutely right! I have looked at the engine section of the manual many times - I should have realized that would not work at all.

Thanks for the suggestion of the impact wrench. It's something I've needed for a long time, but perhaps this is as good an excuse as any to finally go get one. I do have a compressor large enough to run it.

Does anyone have a brand they like and would recommend without hesitation? Otherwise it's off to Harbor Freight for me. Not great quality tools but in a pinch, they do.

The oddest thing: I have yet to be able to get the car into gear. I depress the clutch pedal and try to shift into gear, but the shifter lever won't drop in. It's as if there's some kind of detent in the way, for all gear positions. Maybe the clutch pressure plate is stuck or glued to the flywheel?

Posted on: 2015/3/25 19:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Doubt the pressure plate being stuck would prevent movement. At least one of the gears should just rotate as they slide. Can you disconnect the rods from the levers on side of trans and then move anything? Could be some problems inside. The detent block had a problem with loosening on some units and IIRC there was a photo posted of one unit showing a broken spring that jammed up the works.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 20:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved