Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter issue?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

52Packard
See User information
Just went out to start my 52 Packard 200; turned on the ignition, pushed the pedal to the floor to activate the starter and there was a short 'click' then nothing. Continued with additional tries, but the starter did not engage; not noise, no click, battery is fine...where do I start? Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted on: 2015/4/10 21:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter issue?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It could be the carb starter switch if absolutely nothing happens but most of the time that symptom of just a click is due to low voltage. Could be an oxidized or dirty cable terminal at the battery connection or a failed cell in the battery.

I would clean the battery terminals well and try again. If still no luck use a voltmeter across the battery. It should read 6.3 volts at rest. Continue reading while the starter is engaged. Voltage should not drop appreciably. Batteries can check good with no load but as soon as there is high current demand, fail.

If the battery voltage holds and the connections are clean then start investigating the switch, solenoid or starter. You can use a short jumper to touch the two terminals on the carb switch together. If the starter engages as soon as the connection is made then the switch has failed.

Posted on: 2015/4/10 21:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

52Packard
See User information
Thank you, Howard! The battery is new; car was started a week or so ago without issues; will check the cables. Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/4/10 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
If it is the carb switch, sometimes just a tap on the side will free up the switch. I have had problems with mine off and on over the years. I wired a push button switch to the two terminals on the solenoid. I mounted the switch on the bottom lip of the dash board so it isn't even noticeable. So if the carb switch doesn't work, I have an over-ride. Packard got rid of the carb switch in 1954.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 18:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved